If you've had scabies before, you know how miserable it is. You can't sleep at night. You are tired in the morning. And you can't seem to focus on anything else but the constant unbearable itch.
Do you want a natural solution to eliminate scabies so you can get more sleep and focus on other things?
Are you hoping to use sulfur ointment to treat scabies but not sure which product to choose? Are you searching for the best sulfur ointment for scabies?
If so, this article is for you.
I know shopping for a good sulfur ointment can be a little challenging if you don't know what to look for, but with the help of this article, you’ll be able to choose the best sulfur ointment that suits your specific needs. If you still have questions, you can check out the buying guide at the end of the article to help you narrow it down.
In a rush? Click here to jump to the review.
Table of Contents
- Buying Guide For Sulfur Ointment
- Top 5 Best Sulfur Ointments For Scabies Reviews
- What is scabies?
- What Are The Signs And Symptoms Of Scabies?
- Does Sulfur Soap Kill Scabies Mites?
- 10 Tips To Avoid Getting Scabies or Prevent Re-infestation
Buying Guide For Sulfur Ointment
There are many sulfur products available online. Choosing the right product for your needs can be a daunting task if you are not sure what to look for. Below I share with you 6 things to keep in mind when consider buying a sulfur ointment.
1. Skin type
Some sulfur products can leave your skin moisturized due to its natural oil content while others can leave your skin dry. If you have sensitive skin, it's important to find an ointment that is gentle to your skin.
2. Sulfur content
Sulfur at 5 to 10 % is an effective treatment for scabies. Anything less than 5 % may not be as effective.
I highly recommend you choose a sulfur ointment with most natural ingredients possible. If you see any product advertised as "pure volcanic sulfur" "plant-based" or "all natural," be sure to study the label and read the ingredients list carefully to verify these claims. It's also recommended that you avoid ingredients such as paraben, petroleum, or sodium lauryl sulfate since these chemicals can be harmful to your skin and health.
Some sulfur products are recommended for children while others are not. If you're considering getting a sulfur ointment for your kids, make sure you get the one that is safe for children.
5. Larger quantity
Treating scabies can take weeks, if not, months. I recommend you buy a product that's offered in a smaller quantity and test it out and observe for improvement. Once you find a product working for you, buy a larger quantity if possible just before your current sulfur ointment runs out. This allows you to continue killing scabies without any interruption for a complete scabies elimination.
This is also a much better value for your money because when you a something in bulk, you save more. After you have recovered from scabies, the leftover sulfur ointment will never go to waste because you can also use it for other skin conditions such as acne, rosacea, eczema.
6. Look at the reviews
You want to check out how many people have purchased the products you are looking for. If the reviews are good, the product is likely a good product, but that's not always a guarantee.
If the reviews are bad or only a couple of people have tried out the product, it doesn't necessarily mean it's a terrible product and you should avoid it completely. You might want to order one and give it a test run for yourself. You never know when you might find the perfect hidden gem of a product.
Top 5 Best Sulfur Ointments For Scabies Reviews
1. Pierce's Nu-Stock Ointment
Pierce's Nu-Stock Ointment is an all-natural, non-toxic, steroid-free product that contains just three ingredients: sulfur, mineral oil, and pine oil. It can be used to safely and effectively treat numerous skin irritations and flesh wound from cuts, scrapes, and surgical wounds. It's also used to kill scabies mites. Although the tube says it's used as a topical treatment on pets, humans can also use it too. There is nothing in the formula that would hurt a human. In fact, many people have successfully treated scabies using this ointment.
The ointment contains a high sulfur concentration so the odor may be a bit strong for some people. Some say the smell is horrible while others don't find the smell to be a problem. Keep in mind that sulfur products will naturally have a sulfur smell unless fragrance or essential oil is added.
The more a product smells like rotten egg, it's likely you are getting a product with the most natural ingredients. While Pierce's Nu-Stock Ointment may smell like a firework, it's indeed made with all natural ingredients and free of artificial fragrances. This ensures that you are getting a good quality product.
The high sulfur concentration also makes it extremely effective in killing these demon scabies mites. Due to its high sulfur concentration, I highly recommend you dilute it with generic body lotion, coconut oil, baby oil or some kind of natural oil to make the consistency thinner. This not only makes it easier for you to spread the ointment on to your skin, it also helps decrease skin irritation.
The sulfur and the mineral oil mixture will separate from time to time. You will notice a part of the ointment that's thick and another part that's runnier. Simply turn the tube upside down and massage the outside of the tube to warm it up or warm up the tube in hot water to remix the ingredients.
Several reviewers commented that out of all the products they've used to battle scabies, Nu-Stock has worked the best. This product has over 1,500 reviews on Amazon and the majority of them are positive. Many are able to successfully treat scabies on themselves and also their pets. If you want to read what other satisfied customers are saying about this ointment. Click the button below:
Amazon's Customer Ratings: 4.3 stars (1,534 Customer Reviews)
- Can be used on animals and humans
- Non-toxic and safe
- All natural ingredients
- Treats scabies and other skin problems
- Helps to force the adult mites to the surface so they can be killed
- The ointment drys quickly
- Has a high sulfur concentration (70%)
- Made in the USA
- Some say it has a piney smell
- Some say it's the best and the most effective scabies treatment they've used
- Complaints of the horrible smell
- Complaints of bad reactions to the product
- Complaints of the ointment did nothing for them
- Leaves the skin very dry (I recommend mixing the ointment with lotion or baby oil to keep your skin from getting dry)
- Complains of the product burning eyes
How to Use:
- Wear protective gloves when applying the product
- Shake well before using. Be sure to mix with a base such as lotion or baby oil to prevent dryness
- Cleanse area to be treated and let dry
- Apply to all affected areas
- Leave the ointment on for 3 days and then wash and rinse and reapply
- Repeat every 3 days until desired results
- Be sure to use the ointment consistently to interrupt the life cycle of scabies for a complete elimination
- Discard gloves and wash hands thoroughly after applying
Pierce's Nu-Stock Ointment is included in the top 5 best sulfur ointment because of its natural, safe ingredients and its high sulfur concentration. Its high sulfur concentration makes it extremely effective in treating scabies. In fact, it contains a much higher sulfur concentration than many other sulfur ointments. Many people that have been battling with scabies for a long time are finally scabies free after using this ointment.
If you can handle the strong sulfur odor and you want to have an effective solution to end the awful scabies itch and start healing, Pierce's Nu-Stock Ointment is the product to try for you or your pets. I really hope that you don't turn away from this amazing ointment because of its odor.
2. Sulfur Butter Cream n Ointment
Sulfur butter cream n ointment is a product made by Braunfels Labs. They are known for having a good record of using premium quality ingredients in their products. Their ointment is not only effective in treating scabies but also for other skin conditions. Some claimed that it's the best product they've used to treat scabies.
This ointment uses 10 % premium sulfur and blended with natural pure oils including avocado oil, hemp seed oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, and Shea butter. It contains no animal by-products and also cruelty-free. This is the perfect ointment for vegans or those who prefer plant-based ingredients.
You will love that this ointment is free of polyethylene glycol (PEG), petrolatum, fragrance, dyes, and artificial coloring. If you have sensitive skin, you don't have to worry about this product drying out your skin. In fact, it will leave your skin moisturized and soft without the oily or sticky feeling.
The consistency of the ointment in whipped and fluffy. You may store it at room temperature or refrigerate it for a refreshing and cooling feel. The temperature at which the ointment is stored will change its consistency. It will be solid in colder temperature and creamy at a higher temperature. The ointment melts like butter. Because of this, you'll be able to spread the ointment much easier on your skin. You don't have to worry about the ointment become too runny once it's melted. It will stay on your skin and not on your floor.
Some sulfur products have a very strong smell. However, it won't be the case with this ointment. In fact, the smell is light and pleasant. Because of that, it won't leave any lingering odor on your skin either. The 2-ounce container may look small but don't let that fool you. A small amount goes a long way.
As you can see that are many things to love about this sulfur ointment. In fact, it has over 200 reviews on Amazon and almost all are overwhelmingly positive. If you want to see what other happy users are saying about this ointment, click below:
Amazon's Customer Ratings: 4.0 stars (235 Customer Reviews)
- Plant-based ingredients
- No animal byproducts
- Whipped and fluffy consistency
- Pleasant and light scent
- Leaves the skin soft and smooth
- Reasonably priced
- Doesn't dry out your skin
- Instant itch relieve
- Gentle on the skin
- Treats other skin problems
- Effective treatment for scabies
- Some say this product is better than the Scabisil which is also made by Braunfels Labs
- Some say it's the best product they've used to treat scabies
- Slight gritty texture
- Complaints of sulfur smell
- Complaints about the new formulation not being as good as the previous one
- Some people had excellent results while others had no results
How to Use:
- Wear gloves and discard after each use
- Clean the affected area
- Apply a small amount to palm of your hands
- Rub hands together and massage the ointment onto your skin
Sulfur butter cream n ointment has made it to the top 5 best sulfur ointment for scabies because it's made with 100% plant-based ingredients and free of harmful chemicals. It's effective in treating scabies and at the same time not so tough on the skin with its natural oil content. Great for people with sensitive skin.
Many users are very happy with this ointment. When other treatments failed, this ointment was able to successfully eliminate scabies and relieve discomfort. If you're tired of battling scabies, I highly recommend you give it a try. Be sure to be consistent and patient with application to see improvement. Keep in mind results may vary.
3. Scabisil 10% Sulfur Ointment
Scabisil 10% sulfur is another ointment made by Braunfels Labs. It's also made with all natural and plant-based ingredients. Another great choice for vegans! It not only provides a powerful and all natural soothing relief for humans but also for pets like horses and dogs. It's used to treat scabies, animal scab, and skin mite, acne, dermatitis, tinea versicolor, and fungus.
This ointment is enriched with 10 % colloidal sulfur blend. The colloidal sulfur solution is compounded and blended using Braunfels Labs proprietary process, advanced machinery, and stage temperatures and pressures.
The intense itching from scabies can keep you up all night and cause you to feel tired during the day. Scabisil ointment will provide you with immediate itch relief so you can have an uninterrupted and restful nights of sleep. You will also feel more energized throughout the day and be able to concentrate on other things and not on the horrible itch.
The ointment also serves as an all natural moisturizer. You won't have to worry about this product drying out your skin.
Since fighting scabies can take a while, having extra ointment on the side is a good idea to help end the life cycle of scabies completely. You can get the ointment in 2.5 ounces, 8 ounces, or 32 ounces. You actually save more when you buy the large size because when you buy the small ones separably, it will cost more than buying the large size for the same amount.
Keep in mind that sulfur works to only kill adult scabies mite on the skin's surface and will not kill eggs. So using this ointment in conjunction with other treatments such as ivermectin or permethrin and sulfur soap will be your best fight against scabies more quickly and effectively.
Many people have had great results with this product. There are 388 reviews on Amazon and the majority of users have left positive reviews. If you want to see what other people are saying about this product, click the red button below:
Amazon's Customer Ratings: 3.6 stars (388 Customer Reviews)
- All natural and plant-based ingredients
- Works on humans and pets
- Treats other skin issues
- Soothes the skin
- Instant itch relief
- Allows skin to heal fast
- Inexpensive ointment
- Treats scabies
How to Use:
- Be sure to consult with your doctor about any skin condition
- Clean the affected area (I recommend using a sulfur soap)
- Wear gloves and apply the ointment to the affected area
- Gentle rub on the skin to spread the ointment
- Do not use if there are any sensitivities
- Keep out of reach of children
Scabisil 10% sulfur ointment is another great product for treating scabies. If you have a difficult time falling asleep due to constant itching from scabies, I highly recommend you give Scabisil a try. You will experience an immediate itch relief so you can relax and have restful nights of sleep. The reason it one of our best sulfur ointments for scabies is because it's effective in killing adult scabies. It also contains all natural and plant-based ingredients and free of harsh chemicals.
4. San Marcos 10% Sulfur Ointment
- San Marcos 10% Sulfur ointment is another product made by Braunfels Labs. You'll appreciate the premium ingredients from this company. The ointment contains 100% plant-based ingredients. There are no artificial fragrance, lanolin, PEG (polyethylene glycol), or petroleum products added, which is a good thing. Because of this, you know you're getting a product with natural ingredients that are safe and gentle to your skin and health.
Sulfur can be drying for some individuals. Well, you don't have to worry about that with this ointment due to its plant-based propanetriol, which is a non-oil humectant that will leave your skin feeling moisturized and smooth.
This is an inexpensive but an effective ointment against scabies. Although it comes in a small container, it goes a long way. Some people may find the smell of the sulfur scent a bit strong while others find it very mild. Either way, it's normal for sulfur products to have some sulfur scent. The more the ointment smells like a firework, it's likely made with premium quality ingredients.
Scabies requires a long time to treat so you have to remain consistent and patient with this product before observing any improvement. When you get this product, it's not only used to treat scabies, you can also use it for other skin conditions such as acne, dermatitis, and eczema, and itchy skin. So you get one product that treats multiple skin conditions which is a lot of bang for your buck.
San Marcos ointment has 168 reviews on Amazon. Click the red button if you want to take a closer look at San Marcos 10% Sulfur ointment.
Amazon's Customer Ratings: 3.7 stars (168 Customer Reviews)
- Plant-based ingredients
- No synthetic chemical such as PEG, petroleum, or dye
- Effective in eliminating scabies
- Works for other skin conditions such as acne and eczema
- Creamy texture
- Pleasant scent
- Leaves skin feeling soft and smooth
- When other products failed to work, this ointment worked
- Turns silver jewelry dark. Don't wear them while using this product
- Complaints of it taking too long to work
- Makes skin a bit greasy
- Complaints of it not working
- Leaves greasy film on the skin
How to Use:
- A pair of gloves is recommended to prevent spreading scabies to other parts of your body
- Cleanse the affected area thoroughly (I recommend using a sulfur soap)
- Apply a thin layer of the ointment to your skin
- Leave it on for about 10 minutes
- Rinse to remove
- If you have sensitive skin, start with one application daily and gradually increase to 2-3 times per day if needed
San Marcos 10% Sulfur Ointment has made it to our top 3 best sulfur ointment for scabies because of its all natural and plant-based ingredients. It's also free of harsh chemicals which makes it safe to use and a great product for people with sensitive skin. If you are tired of trying other products with no relief, maybe it's time to give this product a try. It could the solution to end the months of suffering.
5. De La Cruz 10% Sulfur Ointment
De La Cruz 10% sulfur ointment is made by a company called DLC laboratories. They sell over 80 health-related products nationwide and internationally. You can expect high quality and reasonably priced item from them.
De La Cruz 10% sulfur ointment is a powerful acne treatment that is also used to treat scabies. It's free of artificial colors, fragrance, preservative, and paraben. You will appreciate that the ointment is made with no animal products and also 100% vegan.
The ointment has a creamy consistency that melts on your skin like butter. This makes it easier for you to spread the ointment to cover the affected areas. You also don't have to worry about the ointment become too runny and slide everywhere and drip to your floor. So your floors will remain clean and not messy.
Sulfur has natural antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It works to penetrate the skin and kill adult scabies. The intense itch caused by scabies can be unbearable and cause you to lose sleep. This sulfur ointment will provide you with instant itch relief so you can stop scratching your skin and give your skin time to heal and have restful nights of sleep.
One of the Amazon reviewers states that she has suffered from scabies for 7 months and tried everything imaginable. Nothing has worked for her. When she used this ointment for three days, her itch was finally gone and her scabies was also taken care of.
There are over 400 reviews on Amazon and many had success using this ointment for getting rid of scabies. If you want to read what other happy customers are saying about this ointment. Click the button below:
Amazon's Customer Ratings: 3.8 stars (403 Customer Reviews)
- No artificial colors, fragrances or preservatives
- No parabens
- 10% sulfur
- Treats scabies
- Instant itch relief
- 100% vegan
- Allergy tested
- Reasonably priced
- Speeds healing, restores clear healthy skin
- Treats other skin condition such as pimples, blackheads, whiteheads, and blemishes
- Contains polyethylene glycol
- Can not be used in large areas of the skin
- Can make your clothing smell unpleasant
- Complaints of sulfur smell
- Complaints of the ointment drying out the skin
- Has a greasy feel
How to Use:
- Always wear protective gloves to prevent spreading scabies
- Cleanse the skin thoroughly before applying
- Cover the entire affected area with a thin layer one to three times daily
- Leave on for 10 minutes
- Thoroughly remove with water
- Because excessive drying of the skin may occur, you want to start with one application daily, and then gradually increase to two to three times daily if needed. If dryness or peeling occurs that bothers you, simply reduce application to once a day or every other day or follow up with a moisturizer.
De La Cruz 10% sulfur ointment has made it to our top sulfur ointment for scabies because many people have success treating scabies using this product. This product can be drying for some individuals, especially those with more sensitive skin. I highly recommend you follow up with a moisturizer to prevent dryness and peeling. This product is also a great option for those that are vegan and also prefer products that are cruelty-free.
What is scabies?
Scabies is not an infection, but an infestation. It's caused by tiny mites called Sarcopetes scabiei. The adult mites burrow under the top layer of your skin and lay eggs. You may see raised grayish wavy lines where mites have burrowed. After creating a burrow, each female mite lays about 10 to 25 eggs inside.
Scabies causes intense itching and is also highly contagious. The itching is due to a reaction of your body to the mite and/or its feces. Anyone can get scabies. These mites don't care if you live in a clean or unhygienic environment. Scabies has nothing to do with lack of cleanliness. All they want is to live on or in the skin of a human being.
Scabies can be spread easily through skin-to-skin contact with a person who has scabies. It can also be spread by contact with bedding, clothing, and towels that have been used by someone with scabies. Scabies can be spread more easily in crowed conditions such as daycare, nursing home, prisons, schools, rehab facilities, and within a household.
It may take up to 4 to 6 weeks for symptoms to appear when you get scabies for the first time. People who have had scabies previously, symptoms may develop more quickly.
What Are The Signs And Symptoms Of Scabies?
The most common symptom of scabies is intense itching that gets worse at night or after a hot bath.
Other signs and symptoms include the following:
- Itchy bumps
- Raised greyish lines
- Burrows that's visible as lines
- Sores and scabs caused by scratching
Scabies can live anywhere in the human body. However, their favorite sites are the webs of skin between fingers and toes. It may also affect other areas of the body such as elbow, armpit, wrist, waist, genitals, navel, buttocks, and breasts.
If a person with scabies constantly scratches the itchy areas of their skin, it can lead to open sores which can put the person at risk for bacterial infection called impetigo. It's commonly caused by secondary infection with Staphylococcus aureus
Does Sulfur Soap Kill Scabies Mites?
Sulfur has been used for centuries for a wide variety of skin problems such as acne, rosacea, eczema, and scabies. Today, it's still a popular natural treatment for many skin conditions.
Sulfur can be used to effectively kill adult scabies. It's available in creams, lotions, soaps, and ointment. The sulfur ointment usually works better than soap because it's left on the skin longer than sulfur soap. However, it's important that you know sulfur only kills adult scabies mites and won't kill scabies eggs or babies.
There are people that have successfully treated scabies using only sulfur products or prescription treatment alone. There are also people find either treatment alone to be ineffective.
I believe the combination of conventional treatment (permethrin cream, lindane lotion, crotamiton or ivermecti), natural treatments (sulfur soap or sulfur ointment), and treating your home environment (discussed below) will be the most effective way to completely eliminate scabies and prevent reinfestation.
10 Tips To Avoid Getting Scabies or Prevent Re-infestation
Besides treating scabies with sulfur and prescription treatments, it's also important that you treat your environment to prevent re-infestation and spread scabies to others in your family.
- If you or someone in your home has scabies, seek treatment immediately. All household members need to be treated at the same time to prevent possible re-infestation.
- The best way to prevent scabies is to avoid close contact with a person that's infected with scabies. You also want to avoid using clothing, bedding, and towels that have been used by an infected person.
- Scabies is also sexually transmitted so if you're sexually active, it's best not to have sex until you or your partner is scabies free.
- Machine wash and dry all clothes, bedding, and towels using hot soapy water and hot dryer cycles or be dry-cleaned. Make sure you wear gloves while handling these clothes and discard those gloves after use.
- Items that can not be dry-cleaned or laundered can be disinfected by putting them in a sealed plastic bag for several days to a week and scabies will die off. Scabies mites generally do not survive more than 48 to 72 hours away from human skin.
- Replace your mattress to prevent re-infestation. You can also use a zippered cover to cover the mattress without removing it for a few weeks to kill scabies mites.
- Apply rubbing alcohol or Lysol to kill scabies on hard furniture or hard surfaces.
- Vacuum the entire home on the day treatment is initiated. All carpets, upholstery, fabrics on the sofa and in the car must be steamed vacuumed. Discard vacuum bag immediately or thoroughly clean the vacuum's canister. Always wear gloves.
- Scabies is highly contagious so be sure to avoid going to swimming pools and other group areas to prevent spreading the infestation.
- Do not scratch your skin. This will make the infestation worse because scratching can cause mites to transfer to uninfected parts of your body, increasing your risk of a secondary skin infection.
So, are you ready to buy the sulfur ointment for your needs? Now that you’ve looked at the different sulfur ointments, the pros and cons of each ointment, you should be able to choose the one that best suits your needs.
Remember that not all sulfur ointments are the same, but many of them have some similarities. You want be sure to choose the ointment that is suitable for your skin type because some are gentle and some can leave your skin feeling dry. The smell also varies as some have milder scent and some have stronger sulfur smell. Some people can stand the strong odor while others find it very offensive.
Many sulfur ointments are available in small containers or tubes. This can be good and bad. The good is that you can try out a small amount without spending a lot of money. The bad is that if you start see improvement using a certain ointment, you have to buy multiple containers or tubes, which can be inconvenient and also expensive.
I believe the best way to go about that is to choose an ointment and when you start to see an improvement, just days before it runs out, buy the ointment in bulk if possible. This will ensure that you get the best price possible so you get to save money and have a lot less of hassle.
Even if you recover from scabies and still have leftover ointments, they will never go to waste because you can also use them for other skin problems such as acne, rash, eczema, itchy skin and much more.
I hope you enjoyed the article and found it helpful. If you have any questions, concerns, or thoughts. Don't hesitate to leave them in the comments below or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Have you ever had scabies? What type of treatment has worked the best for you? Have you ever used sulfur ointment? If yes, how's your experience with it? I would love to hear what you have to share. Feel free to share your story in the comments below.