The thought of a rotten egg smell is likely to come to your mind when you hear the word sulfur (also spelled sulphur). Although it's true that sulfur doesn't have the most pleasant smell, it could help reduce your acne and keep your skin healthy.
Historically known as brimstone, sulfur has been used for centuries as a beauty product and a form of treatment for acne and other skin conditions. So it isn't exactly the flashy or new skin care ingredient on the block.
This smelly mineral is actually still being used today because of its amazing antiseptic and antimicrobial properties. You will find sulfur in many skin care products including lotions, creams, shampoos, gels, ointments, masks, and soaps.
Are you looking to buy the best sulfur soap for acne? Well, you've come to the right place. The purpose of this article is to help first-time sulfur soap buyers and people who have used sulfur soaps in the past but are looking for a superior product. This review took us about 3 days to research and write, so it contains a lot of detailed and helpful information to help you make an informed decision. Be sure to bookmark this article if you are in a hurry.
So without further ado, let's dive right in! Click Here To Jump To The Review.
Table of Contents
- Best Sulfur Soap Comparison Chart
- How To Choose A Good Sulfur Soap?
- 10 Best Sulfur Soap For Acne Reviewed
- 1. Grisi Bio Sulfur Soap with Lanolin
- 2. San Marcos 10% Sulfur Ointment + 10% Sulfur Soap
- 3. Sulfur Suds Traditional Sulfur Soap
- 4. Nature's Innovation Sulfur-Lavender Soap
- 5. Dr. Berry's Premium Sulfur-Lavender Soap
- 6. Braunfels Labs 10% Sulfur Soap in Suds Jar
- 7. Heritage Products Hot Springs Sulfur Handmade Soap
- 8. Natural Elephant dead Sea Sulfur Soap
- 9. Dermaharmony 10% Sulfur 3% Salicylic Acid Bar Soap
- 10. Sulfo Lo - Topical Cleansing Bar Soap
- What is Sulfur?
- How Does Sulfur Soap Help With Acne?
- What Type Of Acne does sulfur soap work for?
- Is sulfur safe for all skin type?
- The side Effects Of sulfur Soap
Best Sulfur Soap Comparison Chart
Below is a table of the top 10 best sulfur soap for acne. We've put together this table so you can easily navigate to a particular product you like to read a full review on. It also makes it easier for you to compare products. We hope you enjoy it!
|Product Name||Image||Best For||Star Rating||Price|
|1||Grisi Bio Sulfur Soap with Lanolin||All skin types. If you have sensitive skin, then this is the right choice for you.||
|2||San Marcos 10% Sulfur Ointment + 10% Sulfur Soap||All skin types. It works on even dry and sensitive skins, but a must have for oily skin.||
|3||Sulfur Suds Traditional Sulfur Soap||Oily skin type.||
|4||Nature’s Innovation Sulfur-Lavender Soap||All skin type.||
|5||Dr. Berry’s Premium Sulfur-Lavender Soap||All skin type.||
|6||Braunfels Labs 10% Sulfur Soap In Suds Jar||Oily skin type.||
|7||Heritage Products Hot Springs Sulfur Handmade Soap||All skin types. Highly recommended for people with sensitive skin.||
|8||Natural Elephant Dead Sea Sulfur Soap||All skin types.||
|9||DermaHarmony 10% Sulfur 3% Salicylic Acid Bar Soap||Oily/combination skin type||
|10||Sulfo Lo - Topical Cleansing Bar Soap for Multiple Skin Conditions||All skin type but highly recommended for oily skin||
How To Choose A Good Sulfur Soap?
Sulfur soap is widely available online as well as over the counter. However, not all sulfur soaps are created equal. Some sulfur soaps are extremely gentle and effective on your acne. While others can actually further aggravate your acne.
Buying a sulfur soap is not just a case of picking the one that has a nice color or nice smell. There are actually 7 things to consider when choosing the best sulfur soap for your acne. These factors include but not limited to price, skin type, sulfur content, ingredients, soap size, and brand. The information below will help you choose the best sulfur soap for acne problems.
- The price of sulfur soaps varies according to their brand and quantity. Expensive ones don't necessarily mean they are the best ones. Cheap ones also don't mean they don't work. You may have to compare one soap with another. It's also helpful to find out your acne and skin type. This will help you narrow down the type of sulfur soap that best suits your needs.
2. Skin Type
- It's very important that you are aware of your skin type. Not all sulfur soaps are made for all skin types. Some are more effective for oily skin type while others are better for sensitive skin. Keep that in mind when shopping for a sulfur soap.
3. Sulfur Content
- Although the formulation of sulfur content can go higher and stronger. At 10%, sulfur can be effective in treating acne without burning or overly drying your skin. This is great news for individuals that have sensitive skin.
- If you have questions or concerns about a certain sulfur soap concentration, speak to your dermatologist or contact the soap manufacture.
- Some sulfur soaps can contain other natural ingredients like lanolin and other natural oils. They are commonly added to improve moisture in the skin so it doesn't leave your skin too dry. Despite the fact that lanolin and other natural oils are commonly used, they could actually change the color and the smell of natural sulfur soaps. They can also affect sulfur's effectiveness, so you want to carefully select sulfur soaps with the extra ingredients or pure sulfur soaps.
- If you have sensitive skin, it's important that you choose a sulfur soap that contains all natural ingredients because synthetic ingredients could potentially cause more skin irritations.
- You might see the soap advertised as "pure volcanic sulfur" or "all natural" sulfur. Be sure to study the label and other ingredients so you know whether or not these claims are true.
5. Soap Size
- Every buyer would love to have more foam, more lather and of course, more soap. A large soap obviously means it will last you longer. Besides that, it's also easier to hold on to a large bar of soap than a small one. Large soap also makes it easier for you to share with your friends and family.
- There are many sulfur soap available. As I've mentioned earlier, expensive one doesn't mean it's a better quaily soap. And the lower price one also doesn't mean it's a bad product. Additionally, just because something is a popular brand doesn't mean it's the best and the most effective soap. It's important that you do your research, read reviews, check product ratings, and make comparisons before you decide.
7. Special Considerations
- Some sulfur soaps are not recommended children and for people with broken skin or use on large areas of the skin. Not all sulfur soaps are created equal. So if you have an extremely sensitive skin, it's important that you use a sulfur soap that has the right formulation for your skin type. Be sure to check out the best sulfur soap for acne review for product recommendations.
10 Best Sulfur Soap For Acne Reviewed
Below you will find the reviews of the top 10 best sulfur soaps for acne. I will go over the product description and the pros and cons of each sulfur soap. With this information, I'm confident you will find a sulfur soap that best suits your needs.
1. Grisi Bio Sulfur Soap with Lanolin
Grisi bio sulfur soap or Azufre Jabon is a soap enriched with lanolin to help heal and improve the damaged skin from acne. Sulfur works by drying and clearing the acne. Lanolin works by healing the skin, balancing out any drying effect, and leaving the skin moisturized.
Grisi sulfur soap tends to be gentler on your skin than other acne treatments. It's formulated with 10% sulfur which is effective on acne without being too drying for the skin. So if you have sensitive skin, Grisi bio sulfur soap is a great soap for you!
This sulfur soap has to be used regularly to fully see an improvement. According to the manufacturer, it usually takes about 1 to 8 weeks to see results. As you can see, it takes a while before you see any results so you have to be patient with this sulfur soap.
One of my favorite things about this sulfur soap is it contains the most natural ingredients. There are no artificial colors or dyes added to make this soap at all.
If that's not enough you'll also like:
- It's larger than most bars. This means you get a great value out of your money since you will be able to use it for much longer. You won't have to worry about running out of soap for a long period of time.
- You will love that with a small amount of water, it lathers and foams very easily. This allows you to easily apply the soap to the affected area.
- While most sulfur soaps require time to activate, not with Grisi bio sulfur soap. It lathers and foams well in just a short period of time. This is the perfect soap for you if you are in a hurry or if you have a busy schedule.
- It's an inexpensive soap but highly effective treatment for acne. This is just another reason to love this soap.
As you can see there's a lot to love about this soap. In fact, this soap has over 300 reviews on Amazon and almost all are overwhelmingly positive. If you want to see what other customers are saying about this product, click below:
Amazon's Customer Ratings: 4.3 stars
- Has antiseptic, anti-fungal and antibacterial properties
- Combat pimples but not damage your skin
- With lanolin for acne
- Effective acne treatment
- Treats other skin conditions
- Large soap, 4.4 oz (great value for your money)
- Soap lasts for a long time
- Lathers and foams well
- Inexpensive soap without sacrificing the quality
- Gentle on the skin
- Hundreds of satisfied customers
- Takes 1 to 8 weeks to see improvement depending on the severity of your acne
- Complaints of sulfur smell
- Causes irritation to some individuals
- Isn’t for kids under 12 years
- It can leave the skin a bit peeled, but this can be remedied by using a good moisturizer
Best For: All skin types. If you have sensitive skin, this is the soap for you!
2. San Marcos 10% Sulfur Ointment + 10% Sulfur Soap
If you are looking for a sulfur product that contains 100% plant-based ingredients without any of the harsh chemicals, then San Marco sulfur ointment and soap are the perfect solution for your acne issues. You get two bars (3.5 oz each) and one ointment (2.5 oz). Plus, it won’t cost you an arm and a leg.
The ointment lets the sulfur penetrate the skin better so it can go deep inside your pores to do the work. The soap works by drying up the acne and peeling off the dead skin cells. San Marco sulfur ointment and sulfur soap make a perfect combination to help fight acne and keep your skin healthy and blemish free.
It takes about just a few days to weeks to see improvement. Now there is no miracle here, individual results may vary because it depends on the severity of your acne. You need to use the product on a regular basis before being able to observe improvement.
What I love the most about this product is that it’s free of petroleum products. Petroleum products are harmful to your skin and health and it’s best to avoid them. This product contains no PEG (polyethylene glycol).
Although this product has a sulfur smell, that makes it natural and safe to use. In this case, you can rest assured that you are getting the most natural sulfur product without other artificial color or fragrance to cover up the natural sulfur smell.
What else to love about this product:
- Although the soaps are not as large as the Grisi Bio Sulfur Soap, you get two of them, which is still a great value for your money. They can last you for weeks, if not, months. You don’t have to worry about running out for a long time!
- Great for other skin problems such as rosacea, itchy skin, dermatitis, eczema, mites, and scabies. This allows you to not only use it for acne, but also for other skin problems too.
- Don’t be fooled by the small ointment container. 2 oz jar goes a long way. Just a very thin application is needed to work wonderfully. It helps to penetrate the skin and won’t leave your skin feeling greasy at all.
- Free of harsh chemicals which makes it a great product for people with sensitive skin.
- Do you love natural products or products made with plant-based ingredients? This is just another reason to love San Marco sulfur product.
There are over 500 reviews on Amazon and almost all are positive. If you want to see what other customers are saying about this product, click below to read more:
Amazon's Customer Ratings: 4.2 stars
- With all natural and plant-based ingredients
- Premium sulfur skin care products
- No PEG or polyethylene glycol
- No petroleum products
- No artificial fragrance
- No Dyes
- Good value for your money
- Not excessively drying
- Stops acne breakout
- Treats other skin conditions
- Fast results for some people (Noticeable improvement within days)
- Strong sulfur smell (some say it doesn’t really smell)
- The texture of the soap is a bit grainy
- Complaints that it takes too long to see improvement
- May cause peeling and dryness of the skin (I highly recommend Braunfels Labs Sulfur Butter to moisturize your skin)
Best For: All skin types. It works on even dry and sensitive skins. A must have for oily skin.
3. Sulfur Suds Traditional Sulfur Soap
Sulfur suds traditional sulfur soap is a 10 % sulfur soap ideal for the treatment of acne and pimples. They are available in special suds jar activation and storage vessel.
The soap contains antibacterial and antifungal properties so it’s effective against bacteria and fungus. Acne is caused by bacteria, Propionibacterium acnes, so this soap is an extremely effective treatment for acne sufferers.
Sulfur is more effective when it’s activated. You do that by letting it soak in a container in warm water for 30 seconds. Its colloidal system allows you to create a creamy emulsion when properly activated. This enables you to cover the affected area more easily than just rubbing soap over the area. You will love that it won’t leave your skin feeling oily or sticky.
You will also love the ingredients. It contains palm and kernel oil. Due to their high fatty acid content, it helps to deliver the skin with essential nutrients so that your skin can look healthy and blemish free.
The soap is also fortified with two more major moisturizers. Glycerin and lanolin, which helps to seal the moisture and prevent the skin from flaking.
Some say the soap has a lingering smell while others say the smell is not too noticeable. I believe the more the soap smells like a rotten egg, it’s most likely that it’s made from all natural ingredients.
And this traditional sulfur soap is indeed made with all natural ingredients. It contains no artificial dyes and scents so you know you are getting a great quality soap. Many users that have tried other acne products with no improvement and this sulfur soap was able to dramatically clear up their acne in a short time. With continuous use, the soap will fight the acne and leave your skin clear and healthy.
I highly recommend this to people that have tried other acne products or other sulfur products and got no result. This soap may be the solution for you!
Traditional sulfur soap has over 300 reviews on Amazon. Click the red button below to check out what other people are saying:
Amazon's Customer Ratings: 4.2 stars
- All natural ingredient
- 10% Sulfur
- Special container provided to activate the soap
- Dye and fragrance-free
- Large soap, 3.5 ounces
- A good solid soap (Does not crumble easily like other soaps)
- Holds its size even after a number of uses
- Lathers and foams well
- Contains antiseptic & anti-fungal properties
- Cost effective (A bar lasts a long time)
- Great for hormonal breakouts
- Effective for cystic acne
- Inexpensive soap
- Fast improvement in days to weeks
- Mild sulfur smell (Usually the smell goes away after a while)
- Lingering smell (Don’t use it if you are going to a party or to a date)
- If you have sensitive skin, you could get a burn feeling on your face on the first day of using this soap, but this will get better over time.
- Complaints about more breakouts
- May cause chapping of the lips
- Can cause an allergic reaction to some people
- Tends to dry up the skin
- Requires to be followed up with a moisturizer
- Children cannot use this
Best for: Oily skin
4. Nature's Innovation Sulfur-Lavender Soap
This is natural cleansing soap made with micronized volcanic sulfur and calming lavender oils. Lavender, in this case, helps to reduce the strong smell of sulfur. If the smell of the sulfur is the reason you avoid using the sulfur soap, then the naturasil sulfur soap is the one you want to consider!
Not only does the lavender help counteract the sulfur smell, creating a unique and clean smelling scent, but it also has antibacterial properties and helps to kill bacteria in your pores. That makes lavender oil perfect for clearing up and preventing pimples. Lavender oil’s anti-inflammatory properties also make it great for soothing and healing cystic acne and acne scars.
This soap is not only effective in treating acne, but it’s also used to treat a variety of other symptoms such as fungal infections, tinea versicolor, ringworm, jock itch, nail fungus and well as many other skin problems.
What makes this soap different is that these soaps are handmade in small batches and carefully packed in an FDA registered facility. So no two soaps look the same and the quality is guaranteed.
Other things to love about this sulfur soap:
- Some soaps leave a film or residue on your face. You won’t have that problem with this soap.
- Some people see improvement in as little as in 2 weeks. Results may vary.
- This soap is also suitable for sensitive skin. Most people with sensitive skin are very happy with this soap as it doesn’t dry up your skin like others. Again, results may vary with different people.
This sulfur product has over 140 reviews on Amazon. Majority of the reviews are positive. Click the button below to read more:
Amazon's Customer Ratings: 4.2 stars
- With micronized volcanic sulfur
- 100% natural and organic ingredients
- Larger and longer soap. 4 oz (Easier to hold if you have large hands)
- Lathers great
- Smooth and silky soap
- Calms the skin with lavender oil
- Lavender that masks the sulfur smell
- Helps to clear up acne
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- Complains of soap melting too fast
- Complains of acne worsening with this soap
- Can be pricey since it doesn’t last long
Best for: All skin type
5. Dr. Berry's Premium Sulfur-Lavender Soap
Dr.Berry’s soap is another soap with lavender. The lavender helps to reduce the overwhelming sulfur smell. If you can’t stand the strong smell of sulfur, this is another great choice for you!
Dr. Berry’s soap is specially formulated to promote fast healing for skin problems that have a hard time healing. If you have a hard to heal acne scars or blemishes, this is the sulfur soap for you!
It’s also another great soap for acne and other skin conditions such as rosacea and eczema. Sulfur works to dry up the acne and clear the blemishes. The soap lathers very well and penetrates the skin better so that sulfur can be absorbed better into the skin to do the work. Lavender helps to sooth the skin and heal acne scars, which makes this soap so effective in treating acne and pimples.
You will love that this soap uses pure sulfur and lavender. It’s free of harmful ingredients such as SLS, EDTA, and Paraben Free. The combination of coconut oil, palm oil, safflower oil, and glycerine together act like a moisturizer to help balance the drying effect of sulfur.
If you have delicate skin, you may want to give this soap a try.
The soap comes with a rough side and a smooth side. The rough side is great for exfoliating or scrubbing and the smooth side is great for applying soap on delicate skin.
Dr. Berry’s soap has over 70 reviews on Amazon. Majority of the users are very satisfied with the product. Click the button below to check out what other satisfied customers are saying about this soap:
Amazon's Customer Ratings: 4.1 stars
- Uses 10% sulfur and pure lavender
- Penetrates the skin quickly
- Special Formula to promote fast healing
- No SLS, EDTA, and paraben
- Made in the USA
- Has a pleasant lavender smell
- Effective in treating acne and cystic acne
- Not overly drying
- Large soap 4oz
- If you have sensitive skin and are looking for an all natural product, free of harsh chemicals, then this is a good choice for you
- Complains of soap being too soft and crumbles easily
- Complains of breakouts
- Complains of soap not lasting long
- Complains of a lingering smell
- Doesn’t lather well
Best for: All skin type
6. Braunfels Labs 10% Sulfur Soap in Suds Jar
Braunfels labs sulfur soap is a premium 10% sulfur soap designed by dermatologists. This is an advanced cleansing bar using special processes during the making of the soap to ensure that each bar contains 10% pure sulfur.
The soap is not only formulated for acne but also for other skin conditions such as dermatitis, itchy skin. skin mites, rosacea, eczema, and psoriasis.
Some people find the sulfur smell very strong, but that is how sulfur soap smells like naturally. It would be impossible for the manufacturer to produce scentless soap as this will involve a lot of processing which can render sulfur less effective. This soap uses pure sulfur so you know you are getting the most natural sulfur soap to help you fight these stubborn pimples and acne more quickly and effectively.
Reasons to love this soap:
- The artificial fragrance and color could sometimes affect the effectiveness of sulfur, but you don’t have to worry about that with this sulfur soap.
- People that have tried everything imaginable, such as prescription and over the counter treatments and nothing would help. However, when they tried this soap, their acne improved significantly.
You will love the things sulfur can for your acne.
- Sulfur helps dry the acne and slough off the dead skin cells quicker, thus unclogging pore, revealing healthier and clearer skin.
- Sulfur also has an antimicrobial property that can fight the acne-causing bacteria and preventing new breakouts.
Of course, this is not a miracle cure, it takes a consistent use over the period of several days to weeks to observe improvement. Individual results may vary depending on your acne severity.
There are over 700 reviews Amazon and almost all are overwhelmingly positive. If you want to see what other customers are saying about this product, click below:
Amazon's Customer Ratings: 3.9 stars
- 10% pure sulfur
- Natural fresh scent
- Advanced wash for Acne
- Works for cystic acne and hormonal acne
- No artificial fragrances and dyes.
- Large bar, 3.5 ounces
- Long lasting soap
- Made in the USA
- Treats other skin problems
- Safe for children
- Lathers smooth and creamy
- Not for sensitive skin, may be too harsh for daily use
- Changed ingredients in the original formula
- Some complaints about the smell
- Lingering smell
- May leave a filmy residue on the skin
- Requires consistent use
- Need a moisturizer afterward as it will dry out your skin
Best for: Oily skin type
7. Heritage Products Hot Springs Sulfur Handmade Soap
Heritage sulfur handmade soap is a cleanser that tones your complexion and cleans and refreshes your skin. If you have sensitive skin and are looking for an all natural product, free of harsh chemicals, then this is a good choice for you.
This is another vegan-friendly and cruelty-free soap. It’s available in 3.5 ounces or 100-gram bars. It’s also sulfate free, gluten free, and paraben free. So the soap you get is all natural without the harmful chemicals, making an exceptional, wonderful cleanser for people with sensitive skin.
They are also handmade in small batches like the naturasil sulfur soap so no two soaps look the same. You’re going to love the fact that they use 100% plant-based ingredients such as olive oil, palm oil, coconut oil, and Safflowers oil. These oils together create a unique, refreshing soap that both cleans, invigorates, balances, and heals your skin.
If you have a lot of blemishes, this soap goes really well with Heritage blemish treatment toner to help clear up the blemishes more effectively and quickly.
The soap also contains Celtic sea salt sulfur which helps to scrub away the dead skin cells uncovering a layer of healthier and clearer skin. The colloidal silver and the sulfur in this soap both contain antibacterial properties. They work together to get rid of P.Acnes bacterium along with sebum and dirt, clog the skin pores and results in breakouts.
This is a gentle handmade soap which makes it a perfect soap for those with sensitive skin!
Hot springs sulfur handmade soap is rated 4 out of 5 stars on Amazon. Many have experienced positive results using this soap. If you want to see what other customers are saying about this product, click the button below:
Amazon's Customer Ratings: 4.0 stars
- 100% plant-based ingredients
- Uses organically grown plant oils
- No Added Fragrance
- Sulfate & Paraben Free
- Gluten free
- Great for acne
- Heals acne mark
- Treats other skin problems
- It hydrates the skin
- Not very expensive
- A bar lasts a long time
- Slight sulfur smell
- Melts fast in the shower
Best for: All skin types. Highly recommended for sensitive skin.
8. Natural Elephant dead Sea Sulfur Soap
Dead Sea minerals and sulfur work together to cleanse gently yet effectively for all skin types. This sulfur soap is enriched with aloe vera and olive oil, which helps to revitalize your skin’s own moisture. Natural elephant dead sea sulfur soap is available in 4.4 oz (125 g), which will last you for a long time.
Aloe is soothing and can reduce skin inflammations so the skin can heal more rapidly. Olive oil is packed with antioxidants and it’s also hydrating for your skin, making it amazing for people with sensitive and dry skin.
The dead sea water is rich in numerous minerals, including super high levels of bromide, sulfate, potassium, magnesium, and calcium, as well as clay and nutrients, to enhance your skin health. They help to rejuvenate your skin, plump it up and eliminate wrinkles.
It’s very effective in fighting against acne and black spots because sulfur has an anti-inflammatory, astringent, detoxifying and disinfecting effect. It’s also used to treat blemishes on your body and fight psoriasis, and more on your face.
Sulfur is as a keratolytic. This means when it’s applied, sulfur dries the skin and makes for a thinner epidermis. As you know, a pimple occurs when your pore is clogged with sebum, dirt, and bacteria inside. Sulfur helps the dead skin cells shed quicker, thus unclogging the pore and healing and preventing the acne.
There is a lot to love about this soap.
- Aside from the quality ingredients, if you are not satisfied with their product for any reason, you may return it for a full refund in the first 30 days. So you can try it and return it if you don’t like it.
This product has 4.3 out of 5 stars based on 41 reviews on Amazon. If you want to check out what other people are saying about this sulfur soap, click the button below:
Amazon's Customer Ratings: 4.3 stars
- Effective in treating acne
- SLS/SLES free
- Large soap lasts longer
- Has a fresh fragrance, sulfur smell isn’t overpowering
- Treats acne and other skin problems
- Leaves skin feeling clean
- Great for all skin type
- Gentle on the skin
- Not overly drying, great for people with sensitive skin
- 30-day money back guarantee
- Complaints of sulfur smell. However, that’s normal with sulfur soap.
Best for: All skin types
9. Dermaharmony 10% Sulfur 3% Salicylic Acid Bar Soap
This is a soap made by DermaHarmony containing 10 % sulfur and 3% salicylic acid. It’s specially formulated for those with skin problems such as pimples and acne. The properties of sulfur and salicylic acid have been known since ancient Greeks times and it’s safe for everyday use by adults and children.
It’s also used for dermatitis, rosacea, tinea versicolor, fungus, vulgaris, blemishes and more.
Salicylic acid helps to reduce sebum secretion and exfoliates the skin to dislodge dead skin cell that can clog pores, therefore reduces acne. You will also like the fact it’s an anti-inflammatory, which can help calm inflamed acne. Salicylic acid works best on blackheads and whiteheads, but not so much on cystic acne.
Although salicylate acid can help with acne, over the long term can dry and thin your skin. So you want to include a moisturizer to help keep your skin hydrated.
This soap also contains sulfur. It works by drying the acne, reducing the acne-causing bacteria, and shedding the dead skin more quickly to uncover a more beautiful and healthier layer of skin.
As you can see, this soap is a great option for acne sufferers. If you have an oily skin type, this soap could be your best friend!
This product has 200 reviews and almost all are overwhelmingly positive. If you want to see what other customers are saying about this product, click below:
Amazon's Customer Ratings: 4.3 stars
- Treats acne and other skin problems
- Fades aways spots and evens skin complexion
- Effective for clearing skin and keeping oil away
- Leaves the skin feeling smooth
- Lathers well
- No phthalates, plastics, EDTA, or lanolin.
- The sulfur smell is not overwhelming
- Affordable and reliable soap
- Fewer breakouts with consistent use
- Great choice for oily skin
- Leaves the skin soft and comfortable
- Improvement in just a week. Individual results may vary
- Complaints of the soap leaving the skin sticky
- Complaints of breakouts
- Not suitable for sensitive skin
- Takes a long time to see improvement
- Leaves the skin very dry for some people (Use a good moisturizer)
Best for: Oily/combination skin type
10. Sulfo Lo - Topical Cleansing Bar Soap
Sulfur Lo soap is a dermatologist tested and recommended antibacterial sulfur soap to help treat and manage acne, blackheads, and comedones, blemishes, and tinea versicolor. It deeply cleans the skin to unclog pores and removes dirt, oil, and other impurities without stripping the skin of its own natural oil.
The antibacterial property of the sulfur helps to reduce bacteria and prevent new breakouts. Sulfur helps dry the excess oil and acne, slough away dead skin cells, and relieve clogged, dirty pores, leaving your skin feeling clean and looking fresh!
This soap works for all skin type but works the best for oily skin type. The soap reduces skin oiliness by reducing your skin sebum production.
If you find 10% sulfur too strong for your skin, you will love this soap because it only contains 3% sulfur. At 3 %, this soap is not only still effective in treating your acne, but it’s also much gentler on your skin.
Many people had great results with Sulfur Lo soap. If you want to learn what other people are saying about this product, click below:
Amazon's Customer Ratings: 4.5 stars
- Effective for oily skin
- Great for sensitive skin
- Very light sulfur smell
- Leaves skin feeling clean, no residue left on the skin
- Effective at treating acne
- Doesn’t overdry the skin
- Costs more than other similar soaps
- Requires weeks before seeing improvement
- Complaints of the smell
Best for: All skin type. But highly recommended for oily skin
What is Sulfur?
Sulfur is a natural, nonmetallic element found around hot springs and volcanic regions. This mineral is also present in your body. According to Dr.Mercola, sulfur is the third most common mineral found in the body and is critical to the body’s overall health. Nearly half of sulfur is concentrated in your skin, bones, and muscles.
This mineral is one of the basic building blocks used throughout the body to make amino acids, enzymes, hormones, collagen and much more. You actually consume sulfur on a regular basis through your diet. Foods such as meats, eggs, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, onion, garlic, milk, fish and beans all contain sulfur.
Though sulfur smells terrible, it’s not toxic. However, many simple derivatives such as sulfur dioxide and hydrogen sulfide are all toxic.
Don’t let the smell turn you off because sulfur works wonderfully in treating acne by reducing acne bacteria, decreasing the excess production of oil, and removing dead skin cells. The smell of the soap ranges from strong to mild. Some sulfur soaps even have extra fragrance ingredients added to mask the strong scent.
Some soaps have a strong sulfur odor. This is especially true for natural-based and plant-based soaps or those made for sensitive skin type.
How Does Sulfur Soap Help With Acne?
Acne is when your pores become clogged due to too much sebum and too many leftover dead skin cells. Bacteria called Propionibacterium acnes can also get trapped inside your pores causing inflammation, swelling, and redness.
You’ve probably heard of salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide being excellent acne fighters. Benzoyl peroxide works to kill acne-causing bacteria in your pores and salicylic acid works by cleaning the pores. Well, sulfur actually works in similar ways. But it’s a gentler alternative to benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid, which makes sulfur a great choice for those with more sensitive skin.
When used topically, sulfur causes the skin to dry and peel due to its comedolytic and keratolytic effects.
Comedolytic just means that sulfur helps to dry out the skin without overdrying it.
Keratolytic means that sulfur helps to slough away dead skin cells more effectively and quickly and it also prevents the pores from being blocked.
Sulfur also has antibacterial properties, so it helps keep the acne-causing bacteria in check. Sulfur fights bacteria but doesn’t kill them. Instead, it prevents them from reproducing, therefore reducing their numbers and decreasing the likelihood of pimples.
What Type Of Acne does sulfur soap work for?
It’s important to bear in mind that results vary from person to person. Acne soap might work for some acne, but not so well for others. The first step is to determine what type of acne you have. If you are not sure, you can talk to your dermatologist to find out about the type of acne you have and whether or not sulfur soap is suitable for your acne type.
Sulfur is best for mild to moderate acne. Does that mean it won’t work for severe acne or cystic breakouts? The answer is “yes and no.” Generally speaking, sulfur isn’t really effective for severe acne issues or cystic breakouts. However, some people have experienced improvement using sulfur soap for their cystic acne and severe acne while others have not.
Like I mentioned earlier, results vary for different people. Click here to jump to the review.
Is sulfur safe for all skin type?
Sulfur works well for those with oily skin types since it works to get rid of the excess oil and dry out the skin. Despite how this sounds, sulfur is also actually a good thing for people with sensitive skin.
The reason for that is because sulfur is a gentle drying agent that won’t overdry and irritate your skin. It’s less intense than many other active ingredients in other acne products such as benzoyl peroxide. This makes sulfur useful even in people with extremely sensitive skin.
If your skin is allergic to benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid, sulfur might be your new best friend!
Regardless of your skin type, you should always do a patch test of the new product before applying it all over your face, arm or chest.
You do that by applying a small amount to your forearm and wait 24 hours. You can use the product if no reaction occurs. But if your skin burns, itches, or turns red, gently wash off the product and do not use the product.
The side Effects Of sulfur Soap
Though sulfur may be gentle enough for sensitive skin, it’s important that you know the side effects.
Some of the side effects include the following:
- Excessive dryness
- Skin irritation
- Skin discoloration
- Excess oil production
- Allergic reaction
If you have a super sensitive skin, try to only use the soap once a day. Then gradually increase application to the recommended usage.
At the end of the day, sulfur is still a drying agent. I recommend you moisturize your skin well after using any product containing sulfur to soothe and re-hydrate the skin.
If you are stilling reading this article, I truly appreciate your time and your trust in my review. I know this has been a long review. I wanted to make sure I have enough information about the various types of sulfur soaps so that you can make an informed purchasing decision.
I hope you enjoyed this article and find it helpful. And if you did, please kindly share this information with others who are looking for a solution for their acne issues.
Have you ever used sulfur soap in the past? How was your experience? I would love to know what you have to share. Please leave your thoughts, questions, or concerns in the comments below. I will get back to you as soon as possible.