One of the best things you can do for yourself for scabies is to get a sulfur soap. Sulfur is a popular treatment for scabies. It has been used successfully in treating scabies for over 2000 years.
Since not all sulfur soaps are created equal, finding a good one will take a bit of research. Well, you are in luck today because we have just reviewed 5 best sulfur soaps for scabies.
So without further ado, let's get right into it!
|Product Name||Image||Soap Size||Star Rating||Price|
|1||San Marcos 10% Sulfur Ointment + 10% Sulfur Soap||Two 3.5 ounce sulfur soaps and 2.5 ounce Sulfur Ointment||
|2||Braunfels Labs 10% Sulfur Soap In Suds Jar||3.5 ounce sulfur soap||
|3||Naturasil Premium Medicated Sulfur-Lavender Soap||Two 4 ounce sulfur soaps||
|4||Dr. Berry’s Premium Sulfur-Lavender Soap||Two 4 ounce sulfur soaps||
|5||Grisi Bio Sulfur Soap with Lanolin||Two 4.2 ounce sulfur soaps||
Table of Contents
- How To Choose A Good Sulfur Soap For Scabies?
- What Are Top 5 Best Sulfur Soaps For Scabies in 2020?
- What is scabies?
- Symptoms Of Scabies
- Treatments For Scabies
- Does Sulfur Soap Kill Scabies?
- 10 Tip To Prevent Getting And Spreading Scabies
- Final Thoughts
How To Choose A Good Sulfur Soap For Scabies?
Before you buy a soap, it's important that you understand how sulfur works. Please note that sulfur only kills adult scabies mites, providing you with fast relief. However, it does not kill eggs so you need to use the soap along with other treatments to effectively eradicate scabies.
There are 6 things you need to keep in mind when shopping for a sulfur soap. Just a quick google search online, you will find many different kinds of sulfur soap. The question is how do you choose a good sulfur soap for scabies? Below are some of the factors to consider.
- The price of the soap can vary from one manufacturer to another. Bear in mind that expensive one doesn't always mean it's better quality. While the cheap one also doesn't mean it's a bad product.
2. Skin type
- Everyone has different skin type. Not all sulfur soaps are made for one skin type. Since sulfur can be drying for some people, you want to find the one that is gentle on sensitive skin.
3. Sulfur Content
- This is very important because sulfur at 5 to 10 % concentration is a safe and effective treatment for scabies. Anything less than 5% may not be as effective.
- Choose the soap with most natural ingredients.
- You might see the soap advertised as "pure volcanic sulfur" or "all natural" sulfur. Be sure to study the label and other ingredients so you know whether or not these claims are true.
- It's important to avoid products that contain paraben, PEG, or petroleum because these chemicals can be irritating and harmful to your skin.
5. Soap Dimension
- Who doesn't want a large soap that lasts longer? When shopping for a sulfur soap for scabies, be sure to look for ones that are larger and also come in a pack. This way it will be much better value for your money because when you buy more you save more and you can continue your treatment for several weeks and help prevent any reinfestation.
- Not all sulfur soaps are safe for children. Some sulfur soaps are not recommended for children while others do. Be sure to do your research.
What Are Top 5 Best Sulfur Soaps For Scabies in 2020?
1. San Macros 10% Sulfur Ointment + 10% Sulfur Soap
If you are looking for a sulfur soap to help treat scabies, San macros sulfur ointment and soap is the product you must consider. The reason I say this is because the ointment and the soap make a great combination to effectively treat scabies, providing you with fast results.
Sulfur has been used for centuries to kill the scabies mite. However, sulfur only kills adult mites but not eggs. This means you need to use the soap for several weeks along with conventional treatments to eradicate the infestation. With a little bit of patience and consistency, you will see a difference.
One of my favorite things about this sulfur product is that it's made with 10% sulfur, 100% all natural and plant-based ingredients. You won't find any artificial fragrance, dye, polyethylene glycol (PEG) or petroleum in the product. These are known to be harmful to your skin and health.
Since the product doesn't contain any harsh chemicals and it's all natural, you don't have to worry about it drying out your skin or cause further irritation. This makes it especially suitable for people with dry and sensitive skin.
More reasons to love this soap:
- Another thing you will like is that you get a really good value out of your money. You get two bars (3.5 oz each) and one ointment (2.5 oz) which will last you for a long time. I highly recommend that you buy multiple bars so you can continue your treatment for several weeks and help prevent any reinfestation.
- Don't be fooled by the small ointment container. This 2 oz jar goes a long way. In fact, just a thin application is needed to work effectively and it won't leave your skin feeling greasy at all.
- For some people, one bar is all they need to eliminate scabies so you get to save the rest for the future. This product is great for healing many skin conditions beyond scabies, including acne, keratosis pilaris, rosacea, itchy skin, dermatitis, and for general skin care. It’s great to keep extra around the house just in case you ever need it again.
As you can see there's a lot to love about this product. In fact, there are over 500 reviews on Amazon and almost all are overwhelmingly positive. If you want to see what other customers are saying about this product, click below:
Amazon's Customer Ratings: 4.2 stars
- With all natural and plant-based ingredients
- No PEG or polyethylene glycol
- No petroleum
- No artificial fragrance or dyes
- Excellent value for money
- Affordable soap
- Gentle on the skin
- Safe for children
- Effective treatment for scabies
- Great for dry and sensitive skin
- Some see improvement as soon as 1-2 weeks
- Treats other skin conditions such as dermatitis, eczema, rosacea, and itchy skin
- Complaints of sulfur smell (some say it doesn't really smell)
- Soap is a bit grainy
- Complaints of soap taking too long to see improvement
How to Use:
- Activate the soap by soaking it in warm water for at about 30 seconds
- Work up a lather and apply to affected area, leave it on for several minutes
- Rinse thoroughly and pat dry the skin
- Cleanse skin thoroughly with warm water
- Apply a thin layer on the affected area
- Wait for 10 minutes and rinse
- Do not use if you are allergic to sulfur
San Marco sulfur ointment and soap has made it to our top 5 best sulfur soap for scabies list because it contains 10% sulfur, all natural and plant-based ingredients, and free of harsh chemicals like PEG. The ointment is a great compliment to the soap to help kill scabies and relieve discomfort more effectively and quickly.
People that have used this product to treat scabies are very happy with the result. Although the sulfur smell may not be the most pleasant thing, that's what natural sulfur smells like. In the case, you can rest assured that you are getting the most natural sulfur soap and that's what makes this product so effective in getting rid of scabies.
2. Braunfels Labs 10% Sulfur Soap in Suds Jar (3.5 oz)
Braunfels labs sulfur soap is another great soap for scabies. It's a premium 10% sulfur soap designed and recommended by dermatologists.
The soap is not only formulated for scabies but also for other skin conditions such as dermatitis, itchy skin, acne, rosacea, eczema, and psoriasis.
You will like that it contains no artificial fragrance and dyes. It also uses pure sulfur. You can rest assured that you are getting the most natural sulfur soap to help eliminate scabies quickly and painlessly so you can heal and feel better.
More reasons to love this soap:
- The artificial fragrance and color could sometimes alter sulfur's effectiveness, you don't have to worry about that with this product.
- People that have tried everything, from permethrin to other over-the-counter remedies and nothing seemed to work. However, when they tried this soap, with a little bit of patience and consistency, they were able to successfully get rid of scabies.
- The intense itch of scabies makes it very difficult to resist scratching. Frequent scratching can lead to open sores that can become infected with bacteria. However, using sulfur soap can help prevent that due to its antibacterial and antiseptic properties. If you have a lot of open sores, you may also want to speak your doctor for additional treatment with antibiotics.
It looks like Braunfels labs have changed their soap formulation. It used to use 100% plant-based ingredients and the new formulation now includes lanolin. One of the complaints people have is that this soap is no longer vegan-friendly.
Regardless, this soap is still effective in treating scabies, but many still prefer plant-based ingredients. Maybe the company will go back to the original formulation in the future, but as of this writing, it still contains animal products. This can be very disappointing to vegans and to people that have used the soap before the change.
Despite the change in the formulation, there are over 700 reviews and the majority of the consumers are very happy with the results. If you want to see what other customers are saying about this product, click below:
Amazon's Customer Ratings: 4.2 stars
- 10% pure sulfur
- Natural fresh scent
- No artificial fragrances and dyes.
- Effective soap in treating scabies
- Large bar, 3.5 ounces, which means it lasts for a long time
- Treats other skin problems
- Safe for children
- Lathers smooth and creamy
- Leaves the skin feeling smooth
- People tried others things and found this soap to be the most effective treatment for scabies
- Complaints of soap drying out the skin (Follow up with a moisturizer is recommended)
- Complaints of new formulation ingredients not as good as the original one
- Complaints of slight sulfur smell
- It takes weeks before seeing results
- Complaints of soap not working. Individual results may vary. This is not a miracle soap, patience and consistency are needed to observe improvement.
How to Use:
- Soak the soap in warm water for 30 seconds
- Lather with your hands for about 20 seconds
- Apply the lather to the affected area and leave it on for about 2-3 minutes
- Rinse thoroughly and pat dry the skin. (follow up with a moisturizer if dryness occurs)
- Do not wear any sterling silver when using this soap because it will turn black
Braunfels labs sulfur soap has made it to our list. The reason for that is because when other products failed to deliver results, this soap was able to successfully and painlessly eliminate scabies in many people. If you are tired of battling scabies, I highly recommend you give this soap a try. This could be the solution to end the miserable intense itch!
3. Naturasil Premium Medicated Sulfur-Lavender Soap
Naturasil is a natural cleansing soap made with plant extracts, 10% micronized volcanic sulfur, and pure lavender. It's free of EDTA and Paraben. If you can't stand the sulfur smell, this soap makes a great option for you. Lavender helps to reduce the sulfur smell, creating a unique and clean smelling scent.
Aside from the nice lavender scent, it also has antibacterial properties which help to kill bacteria. Scabies is extremely itchy and the constant scratching of the skin can put a person at risk for skin infection. Lavender's antibacterial properties make it especially useful in preventing infections from skin scratch.
Lavender's anti-inflammatory property also makes it great for soothing and calming down the irritated skin from scabies.
This soap is not only effective in stopping the itch and getting rid of scabies, but it's also used to treat a variety of other symptoms such as fungal infections, tinea versicolor, ringworm, jock itch, nail fungus, acne, and other skin conditions. So you get one soap that does all of this, which is an excellent value for your money.
What makes this soap different from others is that all of Naturasil soaps are carefully handmade in small batches and packed in an FDA registered facility. There are no two soaps that look the same. You can trust them with their high-quality product.
Now don't expect a miracle for this product, you have to use it consistently over a period of weeks to see improvement. Since everyone is different, the results will be different as well.
Naturasil premium medicated sulfur-lavender soap has over 70 reviews and the majority of the reviews are positive. Click the button below to read more:
Amazon's Customer Ratings: 4.0 stars
- With micronized volcanic sulfur
- Larger and longer soap. 4 oz soap.
- Lathers well
- Calms and soothes the skin with lavender oil
- Has a nice lavender scent
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- Safe for children
- Relieves itch fast
- Works great in eliminating scabies
- Treats other skin conditions
- Complains of soap melting too fast
- It takes to long to work
- Complaints of soap not working
- Soap having a grainy side, some people not to keen to that
How to Use:
- Use the soap at least 2 times daily, for 4 to 10 days.
- If you have sensitive skin, use it once a day and work your way up.
- Wet the soap with warm water
- Apply the soap to the affected area and leave it on for a few minutes
- Rinse thoroughly and pat dry
- Don't use if irritation occurs.
- Avoid using near eyes, mouth or mucous membrane
Naturasil premium medicated sulfur-lavender soap is one of our top picks of the best sulfur soap for scabies. If you avoid sulfur soap because of its smell, this soap makes a great alternative to plain sulfur soap. We highly recommend it because it's just as effective as the plain sulfur soap but with a much nicer scent and added beneficial properties of the lavender oil.
4. Dr. Berry’s Premium Sulfur-Lavender Soap
Dr.Berry's soap is another soap with pure lavender. This is another great soap to treat scabies if you can't stand the sulfur smell. This soap is specially formulated to promote fast healing, which makes it very useful in helping people heal from scabies rash.
The soap lathers very well and penetrates the skin better so that sulfur can be absorbed better into the skin to kill adult mites. You have to be patient when using this soap because sulfur only kills adult mites but not eggs. This means you also need to use it in conjunction with other treatments.
You will love that this soap uses pure sulfur and lavender. It contains no harmful ingredients like SLS, EDTA, and Paraben. The coconut oil, palm oil, safflower oil, and glycerine combined to work as a moisturizer to help balance the drying effect of sulfur. If you have sensitive skin, this is another great soap for you to try out! The sulfur soap is manufactured in FDA facilities in Atlanta, GA.
As you can see there's a lot to love about this soap. Dr. Berry's soap has over 70 reviews on Amazon. Majority of the users are able to find relief with this product. Click the button below to check out what other satisfied customers are saying about this product:
- Uses 10% sulfur and pure lavender
- Penetrates the skin quickly to provide fast itch relief
- Promotes fast healing
- No SLS, EDTA, and paraben
- Made in the USA
- Has a pleasant lavender scent
- Large bar. 4 oz
- Gentle on the skin
- Effective in relieving itch and killing scabies
- Treats other skin issues
- Some people find the lavender sulfur more effective than plain sulfur soaps.
- If you have sensitive skin and are looking for an all natural product, free of harsh chemicals, then this soap is a good choice for you
- Some users say the soap is too soft and crumbles easily
- Complains of soap not lasting long
- Complains of a lingering smell
- Doesn't lather well
- The soap comes with a rough side and a smooth side.
How to Use:
- Wet the soap with warm water
- Apply it to the affected area and leave it on for a few minutes
- Rinse thoroughly and pat dry
Dr.Berry's soap is one of our top picks for the best sulfur soap for scabies. This is another great alternative to plain sulfur soap to help treat scabies. The scent of lavender helps reduce the overwhelming sulfur smell, which makes it wonderful for people looking for a milder scent.
The reason we recommend it is because many people have experienced great results with this product. The ingredients used are natural and free of harmful ingredients. And since this soap is specially formulated to promote skin healing, this will definitely help people heal more quickly.
If you have tried other sulfur soap and got no result. I highly recommend you give this soap a shot, it may be the solution you are looking for!
5. Grisi Bio Sulfur Soap with Lanolin
Grisi bio sulfur soap is a soap that's enriched with natural lanolin. Lanolin works by healing the skin, balancing out any drying effect, and leaving the skin feeling soft and moisturized.
Grisi sulfur soap is formulated with 10% sulfur which is effective and safe in treating scabies at that concentration. It's another great soap for sensitive skin.
This sulfur soap has to be used consistently for several weeks to fully see an improvement. According to the manufacturer, it usually takes about 1 to 8 weeks to see results. As you can see, you have to be patient with this soap.
One of my favorite things about this sulfur soap is it contains the most natural ingredients. You will find no artificial colors or dyes in this soap.
The size of the soap is also larger than most bars. This means you get an excellent value your money. Since treating scabies can takes weeks, having two of the 4.4 oz soap will be more than enough to last you for several weeks. This allows you to concentrate on treating scabies and not have to worry about running out of soap for a long period of time. You can use leftover sulfur soap for acne, rashes, bug bites, eczema, and more.
You'll also like:
- You will love that with a small amount of water, the soap lathers and foams very quickly and easily. This allows you to easily apply the soap to the affected area.
- While most sulfur soaps require time to activate, that's not the case with Grisi bio sulfur soap. It lathers and foams well in just a short period of time. This is the perfect soap for you if you are in a hurry or if you have a busy schedule.
- It's an inexpensive soap but highly effective treatment for scabies. This is just another reason to love this soap.
As you can see there's a lot to love about this product. In fact, it has over 300 reviews on Amazon and almost all are overwhelmingly positive. If you want to see what other happy customers are saying about this soap, click below:
- Has antiseptic, anti-fungal and antibacterial properties
- With lanolin healing and moisturizing the skin
- Effective scabies treatment
- Treats other skin conditions
- Large soap, 4.4 oz (great value for your money)
- Soap lasts for a long time
- Lathers and foams well
- Inexpensive soap without lowering the quality
- Gentle on the skin. Won't leave the skin feeling dry.
- Relieve itchy skin
- Some say the soap has a nice smell
- Takes 1 to 8 weeks to see improvement
- Isn’t for children under 12 years
- Complaints of sulfur smell
How to Use:
- Wash the affected area with warm water
- Apply soap to the affected area
- Leave the suds for 10 minutes
- Use it 2 to 3 times daily
Grisi Bio Sulfur Soap with Lanolin is one of the top 5 best sulfur soap for scabies because it contains natural sulfur and lanolin. The soap kills scabies and at the same time not so tough on the skin with its lanolin content.
It may have a strong smell. In this case, the more the soap smells like rotten egg, it’s most likely that it's made from all natural ingredients. All in all, this makes Grisi a good recommendation as a sulfur soap for scabies.
What is scabies?Scabies is a skin infestation caused by microscopic mites called Sarcopetes scabiei. Each mite is less than half a millimeter long, which makes them very difficult to spot. They may look like tiny black dots on the skin to the naked eye.
They reproduce on the surface of your skin and then burrow into it to lay eggs. Scabies is very itchy and causes gray lines and red bumps on your skin. The itch gets intense at night.
Scabies is a highly contagious condition that can easily be passed from one person to another through skin-to-skin contact. It may also be transmitted through infested clothing, bedding, or towels of an infected person.
The infestation can easily be passed on to family members, friends, and sexual partners. It can also be spread quickly in schools, nursing home, rehab facilities, prisons, sports locker rooms, daycare, and people living in crowded conditions.
Since scabies mite can’t jump or fly, and it crawls very slowly. This makes it unlikely for scabies to spread through a quick handshake or hug.
Symptoms Of Scabies
When you get scabies for the first time, it takes about 4 to 6 weeks for the symptoms to appear. The symptoms will develop more quickly in people that have had scabies in the past. In the early stages, scabies may be mistaken for other skin conditions such as acne or mosquito bites. What sets scabies apart is the relentless itch that gets extremely intense at night.
Another hallmark of scabies is the appearance of track-like burrows in the skin. These raised lines are usually grayish-white color, which is created by female mites tunneling under the surface of the skin. After creating a burrow, each female lays around 10 to 25 eggs inside.
The most common symptoms of scabies are:
- An intense itch that gets worse at night
- A pimple-like rash
- Sores caused by scratching
- Scales or blisters
- Burrows (visible as lines) between raised bumps
Scabies mites can live anywhere on the body, but some of the common sites include:
- Soles of the feet
- On the breasts or genitals
- Between the fingers
- The head, neck, face, palms, and soles in very young children
Treatments For Scabies
Scabies will not go away on its own. Treatment for scabies usually involves prescription ointments, creams, lotions, and oral medications.
Medications such as permethrin cream (Elimite), Lindane lotion, crotamiton (Eurax) or Ivermectin (Stromectol) can help kill the mites promptly. However, the itch may persist for several weeks.
Over-the-counter remedies such as nix, sulfur, calamine lotion, or antihistamine can be used alongside treatments from your doctor.
Does Sulfur Soap Kill Scabies?
Sulfur has been used for centuries to kill scabies mite. However, sulfur only kills adult mites but not eggs so you need to use the soap for several weeks along with conventional treatments to help get rid of the infestation.
I don't believe using conventional or natural treatments alone will help you get rid of scabies. Rather, the combination of conventional and natural treatments as well as treating your home environment will be most effective in eliminating scabies and prevent reinfestation.
Sulfur soaps containing 5 to 10 percent concentration is a safe skin treatment for children, including those younger than 2 months. It can make your skin dry so follow up with a good moisturizer is recommended. Sulfur soap is used just like any other bar soap. Follow the soap's instruction.
If the smell of sulfur is a problem for you. Some sulfur soaps, such as this one, contains lavender oils which will reduce the sulfur smell and give your skin relief from scabies. Be sure to be consistent and patient with your application.
10 Tip To Prevent Getting And Spreading Scabies
- The best way to prevent scabies is to avoid close contact with an infected person or certain items they may have used, such as clothing, bedding, and towels.
- If you’re sexually active, it’s best not to have sex until you or your partner (whoever is infected) has completed the treatment and the scabies is gone. While condoms help prevent sexually transmitted infections, they won’t prevent you from getting scabies.
- To prevent re-infestation, all household members need to be treated at the same time.
- Wash all clothes, bedding, pillows, towels, and linens using hot soapy water and dry on high heat for at least 10 to 30 minutes. Use gloves while handling these clothes and discard those gloves after use.
- Place items that can not be washed in a sealed plastic bag for 5 to 7 days and scabies will die off.
- Replace your mattress or you can also use a zippered cover without removing it for a few weeks to kill the mites.
- Apply rubbing alcohol or Lysol to kill scabies on hard surfaces.
- Vacuum the entire house on the day you start the treatment. Things such as carpets, upholstery, fabrics on the sofa, seats in the car must all be steamed vacuumed. Discard vacuum bag immediately or thoroughly clean the vacuum's canister. Always wear gloves.
- All utensils must be sterilized with boiling water before and after they have been used by an infected person.
- Disinfect all surfaces using disinfectant sprays.
Scabies can cause people to lose sleep and unable to focus on other things due to intense itch. If conventional treatments fail to work for you, sulfur soap may be the solution for you. Although sulfur soap is not guaranteed to work for everyone, neither is conventional treatment. Sulfur soap is worth trying since they are inexpensive and many people have had great success with it.
It's very important that you follow the tips mentioned above to help you prevent getting and spreading scabies. I highly recommend that you have several bars available in the house so you can continue your treatment and help prevent any re-infestation. The extra soaps will never go into waste even after you've healed because you can always use leftover sulfur soap for other skin conditions such as acne, rash, eczema, itchy skin and more.
I hope this article has helped you find the soap you are looking for. If you have any questions, concerns, or thoughts. Don't hesitate to leave them in the comments below and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Have you ever had scabies? What type of treatment has worked the best for you? Have you ever used sulfur soap? If yes, what's your experience with it? I would love to hear what you have to share. Feel free to leave your story in the comments below.