Can MSM cause headaches? Yes, it can. MSM can also trigger a number of other unpleasant side effects such as stomach upset, insomnia, dizziness, and flu-like symptoms. Don’t be alarm by these side effects, they are actually normal and natural detoxification process.
These symptoms indicate a healing crisis, which means your body is adjusting in a healing way due to a sudden availability of oxygen and nutrients to the cells.
These symptoms are temporary and will go away once your body acclimatizes and stabilizes itself. Some people may experience detoxification symptoms in the first week of taking MSM while toxins are flush out of the body.
Fortunately, there are things you can do to minimize or even avoid these side effects by following the tips I share below. Since everyone is different, some people will experience headaches while other will not.
Table of Contents
Reasons MSM causes Headaches
When I first started taking organic sulfur, the only side effects I experienced were insomnia and gastrointestinal upset. They were temporary and went away in a few days. Today, I am still taking MSM in the form of organic sulfur crystals with no side effects, only the benefits.
Below I share with you some of the reasons why MSM can cause headaches.
- Not drinking enough water
- Not following acclimatization process
- Taking more MSM than the product recommendation
- Taking inferior or low quality MSM product. I personally use this one.
- The headaches may be related to the amount of toxins you have in your body. The more toxins you have, the more headaches and other side effects you will experience. The headaches will often get better after you have taken the MSM for a while since it has eliminated some of the toxins from your body.
How to avoid Headaches while taking MSM?
Experiencing headaches while taking MSM can be very uncomfortable. The last thing you want while taking a supplement is unpleasant side effects. Fortunately, there are 4 things you can do to minimize and even avoid headaches and other side effects by following the tips below.
1. Start Out With a Low Dosage
- You want to gradually increase the MSM dosage as this allows your body the time to get used the sulfur (MSM). It's recommended that you begin with a smaller dose, once you feel comfortable or experience no side effects, you can then increase the dose. Check out this article for more information.
2. Increase Water Intake
- Be sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day. Water is needed in order for the body to flush out the toxins more comfortably. When toxins are circulating in the bloodstream, it can cause a lot of discomfort, such as fatigue, dizziness and headaches. Maintaining proper hydration will help decrease that discomfort.
- It's recommended that you drink one liter of water (chlorine and fluoride free water) per 50 lbs of body weight per day. For example, a person weighs 150 lbs should drink about 3 liters of water per day.
3. Spread It Out
- If taking a dose at one setting causes too much discomfort, I recommend you spread out your dosage rather than taking them all at once.
4. Buy good quality MSM
- Sometimes taking a low quality MSM can give you even more severe side effects. Often times many adverse reactions are probably due to impurities in the product, not to the organic sulfur itself. However, uncomfortable reactions are common with even the purest organic sulfur.
- For your safety and your well being, I recommend you use an MSM product that's made in a reputable company where quality ingredients are used. Checkout this article for more information.
Experiencing headaches while taking MSM is normal since MSM helps to eliminate toxins from the body. By following the tips above, headaches and other side effects can be managed more comfortably.
Once your body gets used to sulfur, these uncomfortable symptoms will disappear. And you will start to enjoy the many benefits MSM it has to offer.
Keep in mind that once you have increased to your maximum dosage, you may want to begin to decrease it after a period of anywhere between 2 to 16 weeks until you reach your ideal maintenance dose.
This allows you to compensate for your initial sulfur deficiency, and then reduce the dosage to maintain your results. It's not absolutely necessary to decrease dosage after reaching your max. However, by doing so, you will be able to reduce product use and ultimately product cost.
I hope you find this information helpful. Let me know if you have any question or concern by leaving them in the comments below and I will get back to you as soon as possible.