You are here because you are wondering "Does MSM cause insomnia?" If you are in a rush, the quick answer is yes, MSM can cause insomnia in some people.
In this short article, I will explain the reasons why MSM can cause insomnia, and how you can avoid it.
So without further ado, let's get started!
What is MSM?
If you are new to MSM, it's basically an organic sulfur that's naturally found in plants, foods, animals and humans. It's a popular supplement for people suffering from arthritis and other joint problems.
Of course, there is no such thing as a perfect supplement that's without flaws. MSM can cause insomnia. Some other side effects include gastrointestinal problems, headaches, and dizziness.
Fortunately, many of these side effects are temporary and will eventually go away. These side effects can also be minimized and even avoidable all together by following the tips below.
I've taken MSM since 2016 and the unpleasant side effect I've experienced were gastrointestinal upset and insomnia. This doesn't mean you will also experience insomnia. Keep in mind that since everyone is different, our bodies are going to react differently. So some may experience insomnia while other may not.
Reasons why MSM can cause insomnia
- Taking more MSM than recommended
- Taking MSM too close to bedtime
- Taking inferior or low quality MSM product. I personally use this one.
How to avoid insomnia while taking MSM
Although MSM offers many health benefits, if you have a hard time falling asleep, this could be a big problem. The good thing is there are things you can do to minimize these side effects. The following tips will help you minimize and even avoid insomnia while taking MSM supplement.
- It's recommended that you start out with a low dose and gradually work your way up to the recommended dose.
- Increase your water intake. Since MSM helps detox your body, it's important to drink plenty of water to help flush out the toxins more comfortably.This will help you avoid insomnia. This will also help to avoid headaches and other uncomfortable detox symptoms.
- Since one of the benefits of MSM is increased energy level, this makes it difficult for some people to fall asleep at night. Taking MSM early in the day can help prevent problems with insomnia.
- It's best that you take MSM earlier during the day. If you take more than one dose, I recommend that you take your second dose no later than 3 pm or take it 5 hours before bedtime. For example, If your bedtime is 9 pm, it's best to take your second dose at around 4 pm.
No one wants insomnia while taking a supplement. By following the tips above, you will be able to minimize and even avoid insomnia while taking MSM.
I hope you find this information helpful. Let me know if you have any question or concern by leaving them in the comments below. And I will get back to you as soon as possible.
Have you ever experienced insomnia while taking MSM? What method did you use to overcome insomnia? I would love to know what you have to share in the comments below.