If you’ve been reading my blog, you know I’ve written extensively about the benefits of organic sulfur when taken internally, but do you know other than being an oral supplement, organic sulfur also has many external uses.
Have you ever thought about making your own eye drops using organic sulfur (MSM)? I had no idea this was even possible until now. Most of us are led to believe that the best eye drops are to be purchased from drug store. However, do you know that homemade eye drops work just as well, and sometimes even better than store bought ones.
In this article, I will share with you on how to make homemade eye drops for eye problems such as cataract and glaucoma using two ingredients. But before I do that, I will spend some time talking about common eye problems and how organic sulfur work to alleviate these eye problems.
What is Cataract?
A cataract is a progressive and painless clouding of the normally clear lens in the eye that makes it difficult to see clearly.
The risk of cataract increases as we age. When we are younger, the lens inside of the eye is very clear and flexible. But as we age, cells within the lens become hard and less flexible.
As the aging process continues, cellular waste products build up causing the lens to cloud and become a cataract. Having a cataract is similar to looking through a frosty or fogged-up window .
What is Glaucoma?
Glaucoma is a buildup of pressure within the eye that causes damage to the eye’s optic nerve. It’s usually, but not always, associated with elevated pressure in the eye (intraocular pressure).
The intraocular pressure increases when either too much fluid is produced in the eye or the drainage or outflow channels (trabecular meshwork) of the eye become blocked.
Glaucoma usually has no symptoms in the early stage and that makes it especially dangerous. Normally by the time you notice problems with your vision, the damage has already occurred.
If untreated or uncontrolled, glaucoma first causes peripheral vision loss and eventually can lead to permanent vision loss.
How does organic sulfur help to alleviate eye problems?
As we age, our eyes also grow tougher and less resilient. Organic sulfur also known as Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) helps to soften the leathery eye membranes so that nutrients and healing agents can better be penetrated, absorbed and utilized to heal damage to the eyes.
Organic sulfur also removes waste particle buildup (cataracts) and reduces elevated eye pressure (glaucoma) by regenerating the cells of the “drainage” system of the trabecular meshwork at the inner base of the iris. Source.
Additionally, organic sulfur helps to improve vision, muscle tone, red spots, and damaged blood vessels for contact lens wearers, keep eye moist, relieve strain and remove floaters. Source.
The following is an email I received from Dr. Ron Neer, the founder of the company that manufactures Gold Standard Organic Sulfur. It’s a detailed explanation on how organic sulfur works to relief eye problems.
Dr. Earl Mindell, author of several natural health books, reports the following in a section called THE EYES:
“Think of your eyeball as a balloon full of water, but instead of being rubber, it is a protein membrane. Optical tissue normally allows ﬂuids to ﬂow through the membrane wall which acts like a ﬁlter, cleaning out harmful particles, keeping your eyes clear and your vision good as it allows nutrients to permeate.
But should the membranes become tough like leather, the ﬂuids are trapped and particles begin to accumulate. If this buildup continues, your vision will seem as if you’re looking through frosted glass, a condition known as cataracts.
When eyedrops containing the proper amount of MSM are applied, the membrane becomes permeable, and this has reversed the problem. It is also important that the eye remain ﬂexible so that the muscles can alter its contour and focus as needed.
In the event that its membranes and muscles become rigid and tough, the eye will not be able to focus properly, resulting in blurred vision.
The MSM in eyedrops soothes and softens the membranes, permitting ﬂuids to pass through the optical tissues to stabilize the pressure, repair any damage, clear up red spots and bloodshot vessels, and remove ﬂoaters and other particles in the eye.
In one case, a 15 percent solution of MSM in isotonic saline was a soothing treatment for the eye following accidental injury due to particulate matter in the eye.
In a test with an irritated eye of a rabbit, the eye cleared when treated every hour with a 10 percent aqueous solution of MSM. Be assured, the concentration in the MSM eye drops you get will be sufﬁcient. Follow the instructions on the label.
As noted earlier, the B vitamins in general and the sulfur-related amino acids and compounds are vital to maintaining healthy eyes. Speciﬁcally, we’ve learned that glucosamine is the starting material for the eyes, that glutathione promotes good eye health and low levels accompany almost every type of eye disease. We also know that people suffering from the eye disease retinitis pigmentosa show reduced levels of taurine within the eye.”
Make homemade eye drops with organic sulfur (MSM)
Why homemade eye drops
I use this eye drop for my dry eyes, floaters, and also to improve my vision. There are several reasons why I prefer homemade eye drops than the store bought ones.
- Many store bought eye drops contain preservatives and chemicals that our eyes should not be exposed to long term. They can cause eye irritation to become worse. Some of them even come with unpleasant side effects.
- Homemade eye drops are preservative and chemical free.
- The ingredients used to make this homemade eye drops are safe.
- It’s non-irritating and effective.
- It’s inexpensive and easy to make.
- So far I cannot find or have experienced any side effects to these organic sulfur (MSM) eye drops. In fact, I have been quite amazed by the results. The biggest improvement so far is my dry eye. I believe with the regular long term use, I will see other benefits too.
Ingredients you need
Other things you need
Before you mix the ingredients together, it is important you do the following. This helps to ensure that you do not introduce bacteria to your product and contaminate it.
- Wash hands thoroughly, a pair of clean gloves is recommended.
- Clean working surfaces
- My favorite cleaner is simple rubbing alcohol. 70 % alcohol & 30 % water works better than 100% alcohol.
- 100% alcohol evaporates too fast and the water in the alcohol slows evaporation, so this helps to increase surface contact time and enhance effectiveness.
- Sterilize your funnel, measuring spoon and eye dropper bottle
- This is the most important thing to do. Be sure your tool are sterilized. Contaminated products are unsafe to use and can cause infection. It will also shorten the product shelf life.
- Here is an article that explains How to Sterilize Bottles – 3 Ways to Sterilize Bottles in detail.
How to make it
- After everything is sterilized, start by adding 1/2 teaspoon of Gold Standard Organic Sulfur through the funnel into the eye dropper bottle.
- If organic sulfur crystals are too big to fit through the opening of the funnel, you can either grind it into fine powder using a coffee grinder or pestle mortar for easy transfer to the eye dropper bottle.
- Next, add 2 oz of isotonic saline solution (normal Saline) through the funnel into the eye dropper bottle.
- Put the cap on and shake the solution for 1 to 2 minutes or until organic sulfur is completely dissolved.
- If you want organic sulfur to dissolve faster. Simply fill a small bowl with hot water. Put the eye dropper bottle with sulfur and saline in the bottle in a watertight plastic zipper bag. Leave the bag unzipped at first, and slowly submerge it in the hot water keeping the zipper above water. The water pressure will push out all the air. Then zip it up tight. Leave the bag in the water for few minutes and sulfur should dissolve completely.
- You can also mix all the ingredients in a separate bowl or container and stir until organic sulfur is fully dissolved and then transfer the product to the eye drop bottle. Choose whichever method works the best for you.
Be sure to use pure organic sulfur in the form of large crystals as shown in the image below with the check mark. Pills and powered forms of organic sulfur usually have fillers, anti-caking additives, and binders added to them which may not be as effective as pure organic sulfur in the form of crystals.
In order for organic sulfur to be biologically safe and effective, it must be pure and free of all additives. The product I recommend is Gold Standard Organic Sulfur. Feel free to check out my gold standard organic sulfur review for more information.
How long is the homemade eye drop good for?
I emailed Dr. Ron Neer, the founder of the company that manufactures gold standard organic sulfur about the shelf life of this homemade eye drop. He states that the eye drops should stay good as long as the organic sulfur (MSM) does. Shake the solution before use.
When using the eye drop, make sure you wash your hands before putting in your eye drops. Be careful not to let the tip of the dropper touch any part of your eye. These tips will help prevent product contamination and increase the shelf life of your product.
It needs to be noted that it’s normal for a bit of a sting in the first minute when applying the eye drops and this should dissipate quickly. To achieve the most benefit, be sure to apply the organic sulfur eye drops to your eyes on a regular basis.
Please share if you like the post
I hope this information was helpful and useful. If you liked and enjoyed this article, I would really appreciate it if you could kindly share it.
Please feel free to ask me any questions about any of the contents I’ve created on my website. I will respond as soon as I can.
Leave me a comment if you like or dislike the article.
Thank you for visiting.
Have a wonderful day!