Did you know approximately 350 million people worldwide have arthritis and nearly 40 million people in the United States are affected by arthritis?
Arthritis is an inflammation of the joints. It is not a single disease, but rather an umbrella term for more than 100 different types of arthritis with osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis being the most common ones.
The inflamed and swollen joints from arthritis can be painful and limit your ability to move. If you have arthritis, you are probably seeking as many pain relief options as possible.
While many turn to prescription medications for pain relief, others are looking for more natural ways to ease their pain.
I am passionate about using truly all natural and pure products on the skin. I believe you don’t really need many ingredients to make an excellent and effective arthritis pain cream. What you really need is high-quality ingredients.
In this article, I will share with you the following:
- How MSM & Homemade Pain Relief Cream Helped My Father’s Arthritis?
- Benefit/Purpose Of Each Ingredient
- How to Make Homemade Pain Relief Cream?
- How To Use The Homemade Pain Cream?
- What Preservatives To Use?
Table of Contents
How MSM & Homemade Pain Relief Cream Helped My Father’s Arthritis?
Before I share the recipe, I want to spend a few minutes talking about how MSM and the homemade pain cream helped my father’s arthritis.
My father suffered from arthritis a few years ago, he was prescribed NSAID or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, prednisone and a bunch of other medications.
He was taking them on a daily basis for several years and as a result, he suffered many unpleasant side effects including stomach ulcer and stomach bleed.
In order to counteract these side effects, he was prescribed more medications. Over the years, his med list grew longer and longer, and his condition didn’t seem to get any better, but actually worse.
My father, as well as many people, have been conditioned all their lives to believe that when they get sick, the only way to get well is to go to the doctor to get medicine.
Medical doctors are well-trained to prescribe medicine, and the problem with medicine is that it only treats symptoms and does not address the actual root cause of an illness or disease.
I was once also conditioned to think that, especially after going through nursing school, it reinforced that even more.
Fortunately, not anymore. I’ve learned to take health into my own hands and to heal myself naturally.
It took me a long time to finally convince my father to give organic sulfur a try. After a few weeks of him taking organic sulfur (MSM) and applying the homemade pain relief cream, his pain level decreased dramatically.
He continued this regimen for about 18 months as of this writing. Today, he is not only pain-free and prescription medication free, but his skin also looks more radiant than before and he also is in a much better state of health than he has been for years.
Isn’t it amazing how this little mineral can have such a dramatic impact on his health?
Organic sulfur is great for both internal and external uses. When used topically, it can be highly beneficial, powerful and effective. And when taken internally and used externally, the benefits are much more profound.
This homemade pain relief cream was the result of a couple year of experimentation with different ratios and ingredients.
I believe this recipe is by far the best and the most effective pain cream I’ve come up with. It uses all high-quality natural ingredients and 100% paraben-free. I personally use it for muscle aches and it works really well.
Benefit/Purpose Of Each Ingredient
I will provide a short explanation of the benefit or the purpose of each ingredient. So you will have a better understanding of their beneficial properties and how they help to provide pain relief.
There are 9 ingredients needed for this pain cream. Remember whatever you put on your skin will get absorbed into your body. So look for high-quality organic ingredients.
1. Gold Standard Organic Sulfur: Click Here To Get it From Amazon
MSM (methylsulfonylmethane), also known as organic sulfur, is a natural and fully bio-active form of a sulfur compound that can help to decrease inflammation and reduce joint pain.
One study shows that osteoarthritic populations given MSM daily had significant improvements in physical function. (Source)
A couple of research articles on organic sulfur:
2. Organic Peppermint Essential Oil: Click Here To Get It From Amazon
Peppermint essential oil has natural analgesic, anesthetic, and anti-inflammatory properties which help to alleviate the joint pain, inflammation, and stiffness associated with arthritis.
Peppermint essential oil also naturally contains several ingredients including menthol and limonene which are used for healing.
Menthol acts as a natural anesthesia by calming nerve endings and providing a cooling sensation when applied topically.
3. Organic Coconut Oil: Click Here To Get It From Amazon
Coconut oil has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties.
When applied externally, coconut oil helps to increase blood supply to the arthritic area and thereby helps to reduce the localized pain and swelling.
4. Organic Beeswax: Click Here To Get It From Amazon
Beeswax has analgesic, anti-inflammation, and mild anti-swelling properties.
A 2014 study published in the Korean Journal of Internal Medicine reports that beeswax can help to relieve inflammation caused by osteoarthritis.
5. Emulsifying Wax: Click Here To Get It From Amazon
Since oil and water don’t mix well, in order to get them to come together into a stable emulsion, you need some sort of emulsifier or emulsifying wax. Emulsifying wax works wonderfully for combining oils and water into a stable emulsion.
Think of emulsifying wax as a glue that holds your recipe together. The wax also helps the oil to better penetrate the skin.
6. Vitamin E Oil: Click Here To Get It From Amazon
Vitamin E oil can help prevent joint pain and inflammation in people suffering from arthritis. (Source)
Some studies showed that vitamin E helps to ease arthritis pain better than a placebo or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin or ibuprofen. (Source)
7. Dmso: Click Here To Get It From Amazon
Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO), a by-product of the wood industry and was discovered in Germany in the late 19th century. (Source)
DMSO has been represented as a “wonder drug” or a “miracle drug”. It has a long list of primary pharmacological actions, including fighting inflammation, relieving pain, improving blood supply, scavenging free radicals, softening scar tissue, and effects that may benefit autoimmune conditions. (Source)
DMSO has the ability to penetrate the skin quickly and deeply into the issues without damaging it. It also works much like a carrier, meaning that it can carry other compounds with it through the skin as well.
So adding DMSO to this arthritis pain cream allows other ingredients to get inside the tissue to deliver their beneficial properties to help relieve pain. (Source)
When you rub creams over the skin they only work topically, but if you add DMSO to them, they go into the tissues and work more effectively. I know from personal experience that DMSO works for joint and muscle aches.
8. Organic Eucalyptus Essential Oil: Click Here To Get It From Amazon
Did you know that many popular over-the-counter creams and ointments for joint pain actually contain eucalyptus essential oil as an active ingredient?
Eucalyptus essential oil comes from the eucalyptus plant that is native to Australia. It has powerful anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties that help to soothe both the inflammation and pain. (Source)
9. Colloidal Gold: Click Here To Get It From Amazon
Colloidal gold is a colloidal suspension of nanoparticles of gold in pure water. It can be safely used both internally as well as externally.
It has anti-inflammatory powers to alleviate pain and swelling among those with arthritis.
How to Make Homemade Pain Relief Cream?
Ingredients you need:
- Gold Standard Organic Sulfur (2 teaspoons)
- Organic Peppermint Essential Oil (20 drops)
- Organic Coconut Oil (2 teaspoons)
- Organic Beeswax (1 teaspoon)
- Emulsifying wax (2 teaspoons)
- Vitamin E Oil (20 drops)
- Dmso (1 teaspoon)
- Organic Eucalyptus Essential Oil (20 drops)
- Colloidal Gold (14 teaspoons)
Tools You Need:
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Small Glass Bowl or Stainless Steel Bowl and a Pot to create a Double Boiler
- Large Bowl
- Whisk or Electric Hand Mixer
- Measuring Spoon
- Silicone Spatula
- Zip Lock Bag
- Bottle options:
Here is how to make the cream:
- Be sure to clean all your tools and working surfaces. My favorite cleaner is simply rubbing alcohol. It has sterilizing and disinfecting properties. And best of all, it’s safe and inexpensive.
- Place the stainless steel bowl over a pot of boiling water over medium heat. And then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Place 2 teaspoon of coconut oil, 1 teaspoon of beeswax, 2 teaspoons of emulsifying wax in the stainless steel bowl. Stir constantly until all ingredients are melted.
- Keep the mixture heated on the stove. Add 14 teaspoon of colloidal gold to the melt coconut oil, beeswax and emulsifying wax. The mixture will quickly emulsify into a milk-like liquid.
- Add 2 teaspoons of gold standard organic sulfur crystals to the mixture (Organic sulfur properties are NOT affected by heat). Keep stirring the mixture for one to two minutes until the sulfur crystals are completely dissolved.
- Once the sulfur crystals are completely dissolved. Next, remove the stainless steel bowl from the pot and turn off the stove.
- To cool the pain cream:
- Put the cream in the refrigerator for few minutes, or
- Fill a large bowl with cold water and place the stainless steel bowl over the water. The mixture will slowly turn into a thin cream.
- Don’t worry about the cream being thin at the moment. It takes time for the ingredients to completely emulsify. In the next few hours, the consistency of the cream will start to thicken. Much like lotion consistency.
- Once the mixture is cooled down. Add 20 drops of peppermint essential oil, 20 drops of eucalyptus essential oil, 20 drops of vitamin e oil, and 1 teaspoon of DMSO. Use a whisk or electric hand mixture to blend the ingredients. Once the ingredients are thoroughly mixed, then it’s time to transfer the mixture to a bottle.
- If the bottle has a small opening. I recommend that you use a spatula to transfer mixture to a ziplock bag. Cut off a corner of the bag and squeeze the lotion into the bottle.
- This arthritis pain cream has the consistency of a thick lotion. It’s nongreasy and fast absorbing cream.
- Now you just made your own organic sulfur (MSM) arthritis pain cream.
How To Use The Pain Cream?
- Before each application, wash hands thoroughly.
- Clean and dry the affected area with water and soap to remove skin oils.
- Alcohol wipes or spray is another effective way to remove skin oils and improve the penetrating properties of pain cream.
- Do not apply cream to open wounds.
- Use a pea size and massage the cream into the skin until completely absorbed.
- Generously apply 3 to 4 times daily or more if needed.
What Preservatives To Use?
A preservative is a great way to increase the shelf life of your homemade products. Check out the following articles for more information:
PLEASE SHARE IF YOU LIKE THE ARTICLE
If you enjoyed this article, I would really appreciate it if you could kindly share this article with others.
I hope you give this homemade pain cream recipe a shot. It has helped my father’s arthritis and I am confident that you are going to benefit from this recipe as well.
Feel free to leave a comment or question in the comments below. I will get back to you as soon as possible.
Thank you for stopping by and have a wonderful day!