Many have asked which is the best way to take MSM, the powder or capsules/tablets. In the article, MSM powder vs capsules, I am going to share with you the pros and cons of each.
By the end of this article, you should be able to make a decision on the form that best suits your needs. Without further ado, lets dive right in.
MSM powder is convenient for people with certain life style. For example. if you enjoy making smoothies and making your own skin care products, then the powder form is an excellent choice.
The powder form of MSM is also fast dissolving so you don't have to wait for it to fully dissolve. Some people can not stand the bitter taste of the powder. However, you can easily mask the bitter taste by mixing it with juice or other beverages.
One of my favorite things about MSM powder is that you get more MSM per dose than the capsules/tablets. This means you get more MSM absorbed into your body and thus faster results. Although capsules are convenient to take, you may not get the most benefit out of it because you get less MSM per dose. In terms of MSM per dose, MSM powder is definitely a better option.
Keep in mind that not all MSM powders are created equal. In fact, some brands are more pure than others. Some MSM manufactures have anti-caking ingredients added to their product to prevent the powdered ingredients from sticking together. This could be detrimental to the MSM because they can interfere with the absorption and the effectiveness of the supplement. So it's important that you read the ingredient list carefully and only use the pure form of MSM to help achieve maximum result.
- Very affordable
- Fast dissolving
- Offers more sulfur per dose when compared to MSM capsules
- Contains adequate amount of pure sulfur per dose
- Can easily be added to your favorite smoothies or beverages
- Can easily be added to your homemade skin care products
- More cost effective
Capsules are ideal for people with a busy schedule. Some people like to take a couple of capsules and put them in their shirt pocket when they leave for work in the morning, and of course, this would be impossible to do with the powder.
Many capsules contain a lot of fillers and you'll get very little MSM per dose, making MSM less effective as a healing agent. Although you are still getting MSM, it's going to take longer for you to experience health benefits. Capsules/tablets also contain the following, making MSM supplements less effective.
- Silica - Silica is also known as silicon dioxide. It's a chemical compound that is an oxide of silicon. It prevents ingredients from clumping together.
- Fillers - It's commonly referred to as bulking agents or carriers. They are used to increase the size of a tablet or capsule.
- Flow agents - Flow agents are lubricants and anti-caking agents that are added to supplements to help make the manufacturing process more efficient.
- Binder - Binders help to hold the ingredients in a supplement together. Without binders, a pill may break apart or crumble.
My favorite thing about the capsules is that they give you convenience and ease of use. However, with that being said, you also sacrifice a little on the quality or the amount of MSM you get per dose.
The capsules/tablets are excellent choice for people that dislike the bitter taste of the powder. In terms of convenience and the taste, capsules/tablets are the best way to go.
- Reasonably priced
- Very easy and convenient to use
- Excellent choice for people with a busy schedule
- Can be taken with or without food
- No bitter taste
- Offers a low amount of pure MSM per dose
- Contains fillers, binders, and additives
- Poor absorption rate
- Some pills are big, making them difficulty to swallow
Now that you've learned the pros and cons of the MSM powder and the capsules, you should be able to choose the form that best suits your needs. Keep in mind that there is no one form of MSM that's going to suit everyone.
The form that's consider the best by one person may not be the best with a second person. It's all about what you want to get out of a supplement and what your lifestyle allows.
In terms of convenience, capsules is the winner. In terms of greater amount of MSM you get per dose, the MSM powder is the best way to go. In terms of price, capsules are more expensive than the powder because you get less MSM per dose and also poor absorption rate with the capsules.
I hope you enjoyed this article, please feel free to leave your questions or concerns in the comment box below. And I will get back to you as soon as possible.